#4 Smokin! not a good smokin either!

More
27 Aug 2007 09:43 #166623 by auggiedog
#4 Smokin! not a good smokin either! was created by auggiedog
I sure could use some experienced help or ideas here. I have just finished rebuilding my 900, rode it for a short while (about 6 hours total ,no speedo, just a tach). Motor got a Valve job with new seals, guides were fine. It has stock 70mm/1015 pistons in it from a while back. New rings and honing, rings were end gap checked (all ok). I did screw up one of the oil scraper ring sets when installing the pistons the first time, so I installed the best of the old ones I had on that piston, #1.Started it up last Sunday, rode 15 minutes and it started some serious smoking after it was warmed up. I'm talking big clouds here. So, it looks like #4 is the problem, plug is wet and oil fouled. Other plugs look perfect.

Took it all apart this weekend, I figured on a blown head gasket or valve seal, but when I got it apart, everything looked good. There was a substantial amount of oil in the cylinder, and there was a lot of gummy build up in the exhaust port for #4, so I dis-assembled that valve, cleaned it all out, lapped the valve and re-installed. Seal was in new condition, worked fine. Guide also nice and tight, no wobble. I did not check the intake valve, probably should have, but it looked really clean in the port.
As I was installing the head, I realized that the locating pin next to #4 was not installed the first time. Found it and installed it, with a new one piece head gasket, silicone in the center section, etc.. I expected that that must be the problem. Made sense...
I re-honed the cylinders just a bit, and put it all back together. Started on the first push of the starter button.
But, once it was warm, it still smokes, a lot. Essentaily, no change to the situation. Compression across 1-4 is 120/100/110/130 (#4 might be high/normal due to the oil, so I know that there is a bigger problem somewhere.
One thing that happened from the first assembly is that I went a few hours before re-torquing the head, which by then was pretty loose, say in the 10# range. I am torquing the head to 29#, as in the KZ1000 specs.
My plans are to do a leak-down test, then take it down again, and check the head for warp, pull out the intake valve and check that too.
Man, I am getting tired of buying gaskets!
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks guys!
K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.