trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up

More
26 Aug 2007 16:33 #166462 by Progpunk76
trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up was created by Progpunk76
My 82 kz650 csr takes forever to warm up. Just had carbs cleaned (it wasn't runnin before that). When i start it with the choke on full it will start reving high in about a minute. Then I'll have it half out and it will warm up more and start reving really high in about two minutes. So i'll put it all the way in to start riding and it will stall. To ride it, i'll have to still have the throttle turned a bit to keep it going at red lights or it will stall.Don't know if it's just cause it's old or what but it takes about 20 minutes to warm up enough to not stall anymore. And i can't ride it with the choke out half way because it revs at 8000 rpm if i have the clutch in at stop lights etc. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2007 17:46 #166473 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up
sounds like you may have a couple of things going on, 1 a vacum leak 2 the carbs are still not cleaned well enough, also the carbs may not be adj correctly

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
27 Aug 2007 12:20 #166661 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up
Ditto the above post........chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
27 Aug 2007 17:49 #166733 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up
I have the same problem! Does yours spit through the carbs?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
27 Aug 2007 19:38 #166768 by Progpunk76
Replied by Progpunk76 on topic trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up
I don't know if it does or not. Have only been riding for 1 and a 1/2 years. Just got this bike, it didn't run but the thing was in mint condition so took a risk,bought it for $1000, got the carb cleaned and it worked! It's just now I'm having this problem. When it does warm up it runs perfectly. Once it sits for a half an hour, have to warm it up all over again. Really frustrating.:angry:

More
30 Aug 2007 18:25 #167462 by Progpunk76
Actually the carb is spitting alot while it warms up, even when it gets warmed up it still does a bit. A friend and I took off the carb to get it cleaned and put it back on ourselves. We are still kind of beginners so we probably did'nt adjust it properly or something.Gonna take it in to a pro. Thanks for the advice guys.

More
30 Aug 2007 19:48 #167475 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up
Progpunk76 wrote:

Actually the carb is spitting alot while it warms up, even when it gets warmed up it still does a bit. A friend and I took off the carb to get it cleaned and put it back on ourselves. We are still kind of beginners so we probably did'nt adjust it properly or something.Gonna take it in to a pro. Thanks for the advice guys.

The particular pro may be the best ever, but hope you're not taking and relying on only his word for it. But please forgive my skepticism based on hearing way too many horror stories resulting from the supposed pro. There are some old-timer dealers and techs qualifying as pro, but there are many who do not so qualify and will blow smoke aplenty and cause you grief.

Best of Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 Aug 2007 04:57 #167509 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up
your carbs still need to be cleaned and tuned
properly

More
31 Aug 2007 06:53 #167535 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic trouble getting 82 kz650 csr to warm up
The pilot and choke circuits were not adequately cleaned. Also, you didn't mention whether you had a stock airbox or not but if you have pods on the bike, the pilot jets are likely too small... Your starting sequence is pretty normal but your bike is way too lean for too long. This COULD be from an air leak, as has been noted but I wouldn't expect the problem to go away if it were an air leak but to persist no matter how long your rode it.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
31 Aug 2007 14:24 #167602 by Progpunk76
I'm starting to think for sure that the carb probably needs to get tuned up, becauce we just put it on our selves after we got it cleaned at our local Kawasaki dealer here in Vancouver Canada. It ran perfectly for the first week and then that started happening.Think I'll take it back to Kawi so they can do it properly.