Mission cover oild seals-KZ650

More
23 Aug 2007 08:52 #165845 by tseohs
Mission cover oild seals-KZ650 was created by tseohs
I am preparing to replace the shifter, output, and clutch shaft oil seals in the left side mission cover on 78 KZ 650. It seems straight forward but not sure if the outer edge of the seals should be coated with a thin film of perma-tex or spray gasket type material or go in dry. Also, is there a preferred tool or method for "setting" the seals?

Thanks for your input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
23 Aug 2007 10:18 #165863 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Mission cover oild seals-KZ650
No permatex or gasket sealer needed on those seals.
But applying a thin film of oil or grease helps prevent them from becoming dammaged when being slid over their associated shafts, and is recommended in most service manuals.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
23 Aug 2007 16:54 #165933 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Mission cover oild seals-KZ650
They go in dry with no sealer. On any shaft that has splines or threads on them I always put scotch tape over the splines or threads to protect the seal, with a coating of oil on the shaft.
As far as driving them on I've never had a problem finding a deep socket that fits the size of the outer shell on one. You want the socket to be as close as possible to the outer size of the seal. And tap it in as straight as possible to start with, of course.
Or you could go to the expense of getting the right sized installer, which IMO is a waste of money that could be used on more important items for the bike.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.