Connecting rods Question

More
21 Aug 2007 09:22 #165390 by ricerocket
Connecting rods Question was created by ricerocket
I know they say these bikes are pretty much bullit proof.My question is if the rodes are part of the crank.Could you buy after market rods whch are removable by themselves?
Like other bikes.Held on with two bolts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2007 09:34 #165392 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Connecting rods Question
I don't think you'll find one that'll fit. I had my crank serviced by the good folks at Falicon. I had to have a rod replaced and they used the same design as stock. Not a two-piece rod. I think it has to do with one piece cranks (and therefore two-piece rods) use plain bearings and ours use roller bearings.

Keep in mind that I'm no expert! ;)

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
21 Aug 2007 09:46 #165394 by ricerocket
Replied by ricerocket on topic Connecting rods Question
Oh,See i was thinking it would be nice to weld a crank and if a rods goes bad justreplace it.

More
21 Aug 2007 16:46 #165472 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Connecting rods Question
No can do. The roller bearing motors have very low oil pressure. If you tried to convert to bolt on plain bearing rods, you would have to make a complete high pressure oiling system.

Jay

More
22 Aug 2007 03:13 #165558 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Connecting rods Question
why would you want to do that, it would make the bottom end less bulletproof! (rpm wise)

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
22 Aug 2007 03:13 #165559 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Connecting rods Question
I do believe Falicon makes HD rods with replacable
small end bushings so once a crank is welded up it
should be servicable for a long long time.

More
22 Aug 2007 09:00 #165620 by ricerocket
That was my worry i want to build a great muscle bike,but if i weld the crank if a rod breaks the whole things useless.I still dont understand these bikes yet coming from harleys which are basically big lawn mowere engines.And everthing is replaceable.

More
22 Aug 2007 09:43 #165633 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Connecting rods Question
once you weld one of these cranks you will be very hard pressed to hurt it on a streetbike with anything less than a stick of dynamite.if you spin a bearing its cheaper to just buy another crank for $100 and spend $75 to get it checked and welded than to pay to have a crank rebuiltB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
22 Aug 2007 09:54 #165636 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic Connecting rods Question
ricerocket wrote:

That was my worry i want to build a great muscle bike,but if i weld the crank if a rod breaks the whole things useless.I still dont understand these bikes yet coming from harleys which are basically big lawn mowere engines.And everthing is replaceable.

I think roller crank builders will disassemble a pressed together crank "maybe" twice. Welding does not make it unrebuildable. If a rod breaks, whether it is a 1-piece or 2-piece with a cap, damage will not be limited to just the broken rod. Likely to destroy much of the engine anyway, whether it be a kaw,yamaha,harley or a lawnmower. In a stock Z/KZ style "roller" bearing crank you better hope the main bearings do "spin" that is how they turn. A "big pin" MKII center section makes these cranks quite reliable, but welding alone does "nothing" for the strenghth of the rods.

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2007/08/22 13:12

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2007/08/22 13:21

More
22 Aug 2007 10:28 #165640 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Connecting rods Question
modprod wrote:

ricerocket wrote:

I think roller crank builders will disassemble a pressed together crank "maybe" twice. Welding does not make it unrebuildable. If a rod breaks, whether it is a 1-piece or 2-piece with a cap, damage will not be limited to just the broken rod. Likely to destroy much of the engine anyway, whether it be a kaw,yamaha,harley or a lawnmower. In a stock Z/KZ style "roller" bearing crank you better hope the main bearings do "spin" that is how they turn. A "big pin" MKII center section makes these cranks quite reliable, but welding alone does "nothing" for the strenghth of the rods.

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2007/08/22 13:12<br><br>Post edited by: modprod, at: 2007/08/22 13:21

my bad .i meant spin as in a spun bearing on a plain bearing motor chewing up a rod and or journal.if you smoke a rod bearing i would just buy another crank unless its a crank youve dumped a lot of money into already.i was told by falicon that the strength of the rods is generally not a problem and a properly put together crank with stock kawasaki rods will generally handle 200hp as long as the center pin has been upgraded.

Post edited by: PLUMMEN, at: 2007/08/22 13:33

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
22 Aug 2007 17:52 #165728 by ricerocket
How do you upgrade the center pin?

More
22 Aug 2007 22:32 #165787 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Connecting rods Question
You send it to Gardner Racing Concepts.

Jay