Tolerences for Valve Shimming

More
20 Aug 2007 18:23 #165269 by Unitrak
Tolerences for Valve Shimming was created by Unitrak
Hi all:

I've checked valve clearances and found that some will need new shims and some are near tolerance. So, should re-shim only the ones that are out of spec? or re-shim more valves so that everyone is within spec?

Or, should I go as far as re-shimming so that all are as close to middle of tolerance as shim sizes will permit. :blink:

83GPz750, yosi 4/1, factory airbox, jetted, 94k, topend rebuilt at 71k

Many thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2007 05:30 #165345 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Tolerences for Valve Shimming
Unitrak wrote:

Hi all:

I've checked valve clearances and found that some will need new shims and some are near tolerance. So, should re-shim only the ones that are out of spec? or re-shim more valves so that everyone is within spec?

Or, should I go as far as re-shimming so that all are as close to middle of tolerance as shim sizes will permit. :blink:

83GPz750, yosi 4/1, factory airbox, jetted, 94k, topend rebuilt at 71k

Many thanks in advance

AKAIK, the current recommendations from the air cooled guru's is to shim all the valves to the looser end of the spec. Yes this means the valves may tick a little more, but as the they wear, they have a tendency to tighten up and a valve thats quietly too tight may go un-noticed and cause trouble i.e.: it can burn.

hope this helps...Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
21 Aug 2007 08:33 #165382 by A2-Cow-A-Socki
Replied by A2-Cow-A-Socki on topic Tolerences for Valve Shimming
I just did mine yesterday, and I think I did them sloppy. (Im a bit out of the KZ Loop) I wouldnt though if you are using under a 230 shim. I am running 265's almost all across with 6 clearance and ill recheck them in the spring. Its no big deal to change if you have the spacer tool.

More
23 Aug 2007 07:10 #165824 by Unitrak
Replied by Unitrak on topic Tolerences for Valve Shimming
Thanks for the info, I'll aim to be on the loose side as I've allways been a bit of a slacker;)