Throttle Issue.... :( :(

More
20 Aug 2007 18:18 #165266 by Godzpeed
Throttle Issue.... :( :( was created by Godzpeed
Well guys I got the Daytona bars thanks to Biquetoast so they should arrive by friday... Anyway I have noticed that after riding the bike for about 20 minutes or so the throttle begins to stick a bit, i mean the actual throttle grip works fine and snaps back properly but the actual throttle will stick and gradually settle down, I dont think this is safe for when I start to ride it specially when changing gears it coul dbe dangerous, anybody know what might be causing this? :(

Thanks alot!

Post edited by: Godzpeed, at: 2007/08/20 21:19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2007 21:08 #165305 by Unitrak
Replied by Unitrak on topic Throttle Issue.... :( :(
Do you mean that the throttle itself is sticking? Or that the engine revs a bit high when the throttle is closed?

More
21 Aug 2007 11:52 #165425 by Godzpeed
Replied by Godzpeed on topic Throttle Issue.... :( :(
The Latter... Engine Revs high when throttle is closed which weird...

More
22 Aug 2007 05:04 #165574 by Godzpeed
Replied by Godzpeed on topic Throttle Issue.... :( :(
ANYBODY ELSE KNOW????

More
22 Aug 2007 06:51 #165582 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Throttle Issue.... :( :(
Why is this thread in the engine section? What type of bike (year/model) is being asked about? Suggest you edit your PROFILE and put this info in your sig alongwith your location.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
24 Aug 2007 11:40 #166101 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic Throttle Issue.... :( :(
I'm a little surprised no one posted a real answer to this. Maybe it was the "ANYBODY ELSE KNOW???" post that set some people off.

Anyway,
Songs like you rerouted your cable poorly (i.e. the angle in which it bends is not gradual enough). Try lubing the cable and rerouting it. Also check the "tip"/connector of the cable to make sure that there is no damage to the cable.

The throttle is mounted on the chassis, and the cable is connected to the carbs. So logically I guess it could have gone in either of these. No need to split hairs if this guy is a newbie... I digress!

More
24 Aug 2007 12:06 #166104 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Throttle Issue.... :( :(
I have not experienced this myself, but I understand at if the cab holders are leaking then this is a prime symptom. I have read that spraying WD30 around the boots will reveal any leaks quickly and safely.

Again never did it my self, but the fast solution in these cases is to apply a light ring of sealant between the boot(s) and the cylinder block.

Best of success.

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
24 Aug 2007 21:34 #166180 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Throttle Issue.... :( :(
Hi, Godzpeed. I had the exact same problem with my 1981 KZ1000. Deep-cleaned carbs with new gaskets/o-rings and put new carbholders on, didn't fix the problem. the problem disappeared after properly synchronizing the carbs using the Morgan Carbtuner. Mine would rev up to 4000 to 5000 rpm if I throttled up a little while stationary and when riding. Most times the only way to bring it back down from racing was to snap the kill switch off and on.

I don't think it's your cable as you say it's snapping back fine. The only other thing I'd check is that there's no interference with your carbholder clamp screws. Roll the throttle while monitoring the throttle valves and linkages. Sometimes one or more clamp screws can interfere.

But as I said, my problem was grossly out-of-synch carbs. If you don't have access to a carb synch tool (gauges or manomater), try to do as good a bench-synch s you can and see if that helps. Hope you solve the problem quickly...

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/08/25 00:35

More
25 Aug 2007 04:16 #166198 by cgray34
Replied by cgray34 on topic Throttle Issue.... :( :(
Godzpeed, Had the identical problem with my Kz just a couple of months ago. I would rev the throttle and it would just hang and eventually come down. I did ride the bike this way for a couple of weeks, but it is definitely not safe.

Anyway, I worked the cabe every way imaginable, adusting up, down, loose tight and then I completely disconnected the cable and guess what, IT STILL HUNG WITHOUT THE CABLE. Do a quick test, just disconnect your cable and rev the carbs manually and see if it hangs.

If it is still hangs then a good carb cleaning is in order. In my case my throtte valves could not seat due to gung build up. I started cleaning them and then found a set of 28mm Mikuni's on ebay for $50 bucks!!!! I bought them. I cleaned them up, put them on and NO HANGUP.

Good Luck.