Clutch Pushrod Protrusion

More
20 Aug 2007 17:11 #165252 by rhinoboard
Clutch Pushrod Protrusion was created by rhinoboard
I need some help. I have a 1981 KZ 440 LTD. I recently changed the sprockets and chain and gave the bike a good cleaning. I went to put it back together and something is up with the clutch pushrod. I don't think it is going in all the way - I can't get the clutch cover on because the pushrod is sticking out too far - I know it should touch the clutch mechanism, but shouldn't that be after the clutch cover is seated and screwed in?

Does anybody know just how far out of the oil seal the clutch pushrod should protrude? I know this is probably a very specific question just for somebody who happens to have the same bike as me....

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
20 Aug 2007 17:40 #165258 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Clutch Pushrod Protrusion
Unfortunately for you the 440 is one of the few Kawasaki's I don't own, that said I measured the CSR 305 I have as well as the 550 & 650 I have. The 305 is right at 2" same for the 550 the 650 is 2 5/8" . You should probably look at the pushrod itself and be able to tell. The part of the pushrod that is in the engine past the seal should be clean and new looking. The outside part should be cruddy and covered with crap from the chain.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
21 Aug 2007 17:06 #165474 by rhinoboard
Replied by rhinoboard on topic Clutch Pushrod Protrusion
That's what I was thinking too, and what prompted me to think it was sticking out to far. There is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of clean looking pushrod that is sticking out, and the rest is pretty cruddy looking. So I am thinking that, yes it is sticking out about 1/2 or 3/4 inch too far.

Any idea why it won't go in any farther? From me looking at the parts diagram, it doesn't look like there is anything for it to get hung up on. It looks like it just goes straight in thru the middle and hits the little ball bearing. But it sure seems like it isn't going in all the way.

Any ideas out there?

More
21 Aug 2007 17:54 #165483 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Clutch Pushrod Protrusion
I'm not sure that it works the same as the 650, but are you sure you are getting it into the hole in the release mechanism as you are putting the cover on????
I the adjustment backed off? A simple way to test it would be to put it together with just a couple of the screws started so it holds it in position. Then lightly push the cover in and work the clutch to see if the cover comes back out toward you. If it does you have it in the hole and can tighten it down carefully. If it doesn't you don't have it in the hole.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
26 Aug 2007 14:27 #166455 by rhinoboard
Replied by rhinoboard on topic Clutch Pushrod Protrusion
I tried MilkMan's suggestion of putting the side cover partially on and putting a few screws on and seeing if the cover would slide on while working the clutch, and it doesn't slide at ALL. So something is definitely stopping it from going in all the way....

Any other ideas out there?

After fruitlessly messing with it for awhile today, I resigned myself to having to take off the other side of the engine cover so I could get to the actual clutch plates. Except that 2 of the screws on that side are stripped out. Of course.
Any good way to remove stripped screws?