clutch slips above 8k rpms

More
18 Aug 2007 12:17 #164659 by 810gpz750
clutch slips above 8k rpms was created by 810gpz750
here is the question my clutch NEVER slips takeing off, no matter how hard. when i am getting on it it starts slipping around 8000 rpms. is this a friction plate issue or a spring issue? any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2007 13:10 #164665 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic clutch slips above 8k rpms
Clutch-cable adjustment?
Clutch adjustment?
How many miles(that You know of) on that clutch-pack and springs?
Have You had it apart and inspected it?
Need some more info,Bud...

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
18 Aug 2007 13:44 #164667 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic clutch slips above 8k rpms
shift at 7500 !oh wait:blush: like sandy said.adjust clutch 1st then go from there;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Aug 2007 00:49 #164806 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic clutch slips above 8k rpms
there will be spec's in your manual for plate thickness and spring length,if its not the cable or clutch gear adjustment.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
19 Aug 2007 07:06 #164821 by 810gpz750
Replied by 810gpz750 on topic clutch slips above 8k rpms
thanks for the responses. as for miles on the clutch i have no idea but, i have put 1862.2 miles on it since ive had it. i can tell you this much the person who had it before me didnt believe in maint.. my mechanic says it is probabaly springs. i will check it out later this week when i put new front tire and progressive springs. i have been changing the oil about every 500 miles(you should of seen what came out on the first oil change:ohmy: anyway thank for the responses and more are welcome since i need to order the part or parts so they can be here by thurs today is sat. thanks again

More
19 Aug 2007 09:22 #164842 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic clutch slips above 8k rpms
If you're going in there replacing parts, you might as well upgrade to an aftermarket clutch. I have a Barnett clutch in mine, over 3 years old and doesn't slip, but it does drag a bit when it gets hot in traffic. Apparently there are better choices out there than the Barnett, check with APE

More
19 Aug 2007 11:22 #164856 by 810gpz750
thanks for the info Fossil. i plan on building up a turbo bike and i have heard that the aftermarket clutches will destroy a turbo.

More
19 Aug 2007 13:11 #164873 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic clutch slips above 8k rpms
I've heard clutches disintegrate and the debris goes through the oil messing up turbocharger bearings, but that might be another one of those stories going around.
For Turbo info, you should be visiting Lorcan's site. Huge amount of info over.
750turbo.com/

More
20 Aug 2007 02:00 #165053 by kzkrazybiker
Replied by kzkrazybiker on topic clutch slips above 8k rpms
What oil ore you running? Not the "energy conserving" cage oils I hope. Those oils WILL make your clutch slip at high load. Something about the additives in auto oils that reduce friction, but whadda I know....I just ridem, cuz if ya don't..... they DIE!;)

More
20 Aug 2007 06:44 #165087 by 810gpz750
kzkrazybiker wrote:

What oil ore you running? Not the "energy conserving" cage oils I hope. Those oils WILL make your clutch slip at high load. Something about the additives in auto oils that reduce friction, but whadda I know....I just ridem, cuz if ya don't..... they DIE!;)

energy conserving? that term is new to me. i am running the same oil i have been running for 15 years castrol gtx20-50. maybe this is wrong but it has never let me down. i have tried other oils like shell rotella and found that they take to long to get to the top end. oil light will usually flash for about the first 1/2 mile of riding. also ive never had a bike that didnt lose oil from blow by or just leaking so ive never ran any of the $8 a quart m/c oils (but with this bike im working on that have a complete 810 gasket kit waiting to put pistons in and a few other things)wife and kids are very needy so its not happening as fast as id like but im getting there!

More
20 Aug 2007 06:46 #165089 by 810gpz750
Fossil wrote:

I've heard clutches disintegrate and the debris goes through the oil messing up turbocharger bearings, but that might be another one of those stories going around.
For Turbo info, you should be visiting Lorcan's site. Huge amount of info over.
750turbo.com/

fossil you are too wise! i knew something happened to them. now i know.

More
20 Aug 2007 08:02 #165107 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic clutch slips above 8k rpms
I have rode the bikes wit barnett's in them, they dont slip, you are either going or not, seems like the best thing is aftermarket clutch and stock springs so you dont wear your hand out

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob