dies at idle

More
18 Aug 2007 11:52 #164655 by pollocksn
dies at idle was created by pollocksn
Alright fellas I almost have this thing running the way it should. I had a buddy go thru the carbs and clean them. I found that one carb was missing the float gasket and they were gummed up. I put new boots and new gaskets on. I went and rode for about a hour or so today ran pretty good. Now my quesion is when I come to a complete stop and let off the throttle the thing will die. If I keep give it gas every few sec it will stay running. What coould be causing this? Do I need to adjust the idle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
18 Aug 2007 12:05 #164657 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic dies at idle
I'd suggest checking the throttle linkage and cable(s) to make sure that they are clean, lubed and that nothing is binding, which might possibly be causing the idle to slowly drop to the point of dying when the linkage reaches it's full "at rest" position.
Once that's confirmed, then you can adjust the idle with the knob to get it set properly (about 1,100~1,200 rpm's).
Also check the screws that tighten the manifold clamps (between carbs and engine) on carbs #2 and #3 to make sure that they are not interfering with the throttle linkage, which can happen when new manifolds are installed and/or the carbs have been removed.
Been there and done that myself before. :whistle:
Those screws should be on the bottom and at a horizontal level.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/08/18 15:06

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
19 Aug 2007 09:49 #164845 by pollocksn
Replied by pollocksn on topic dies at idle
cool thanks I will check all of that.

More
20 Aug 2007 12:36 #165188 by pollocksn
Ok I checked all the carb boots and linkage and nothing seems to be wrong. How would I go about adjusting the idle? This bike has not ran for over a year until now so it just might need to be tweeked a bit.

More
20 Aug 2007 12:55 #165190 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic dies at idle
The idle adjustment knob is inbetween carbs 2 & 3 above your throttle linkage. Clockwise to raise the idle, counter clockwise to lower it.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
20 Aug 2007 13:56 #165211 by pollocksn
Thanks I thought that was it but just wanted to make sure. I turned it up a bit and it idled for awhile in Neutral with no problems. I went and rode it for about 45min around my neighborhood. I came to a stop left it in gear and it died again. I turned it up a bit more we will see what happens.