Stripped spark plug holes

More
21 Aug 2007 09:29 #165391 by A2-Cow-A-Socki
Replied by A2-Cow-A-Socki on topic Stripped spark plug holes
I actually bought a kit from cheap-o-neighborhood auto parts store that was made by the heli-coil guys but an insert, They have a drilling tap that also acts as a peen tool.

It go like this.

-remove the head

-screw in the drilling tap until it stops

-unscrew

-screw in the insert

-broach with tool

Done, the SOB holds extreemly well. Dont know but I think this might be the best kit Ive used.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
21 Aug 2007 11:50 #165424 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Stripped spark plug holes
I had just bought that kit at an Oreilly's and as soon as I walked out the door, my friend, an ex motorcycle racer, calls me up and says he has a Time-sert kit and some inserts. I turned around and returned the kit I'd just bought. It did look like it would work though, except the inserts that came in that kit are non shouldered, which however remote the possibility, could still wind its way down into the cylinder. No way with the Time-Serts. The shoulder makes that impossible.
Also, I didn't remove the head. I vacuumed out the chamber with a piece of brake line connected to a vacuum. Plus, I happen to own a lighted borescope, and could see inside the cylinder to check for shavings.

More
04 Jun 2008 11:58 #217872 by auggiedog
Replied by auggiedog on topic Stripped spark plug holes
hey riverroad,
I am about to go thru the same thing and i wanted to see how the whole thing has worked out..any problems?
I am thinking I should just remove the head, since having any metal at all that i miss would really suck...
auggie