Newbie Starting Problems

More
13 Aug 2007 09:16 #163533 by Thistle
Newbie Starting Problems was created by Thistle
Hello All!

About 2 years ago I picked up an old KZ550 LTD that had been sitting in a barn not running for about 4 yrs. I paid about $100 and was pretty happy to have a project. Now since then work changed for me and between that and my little kids, the project has been overlooked for quite some time. However, here is where I am at and I must admit that all the experience I have is gained from the Clymer manual!
Engine does turn over and is not seized. Had a problem with the starter and tested everything and discovered it was the solenoid - replaced that. Removed and cleaned the carbs. Did my best to replace to original settings. One of the floats needs adjusting as it does overflow. Still does not start. Finally removed the airbox and sprayed in some fluid. Cranked wide open and it started. Trouble is that this is the only way it will start. It will run if I hold the throttle open and keeps revs very high - back off slightly and it dies immedietly. Ideas on wher to go next?

Any help greatly appreciated!
DaveMcR.

KZ550C1 1980
KZ650H1 1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2007 09:29 #163535 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Newbie Starting Problems
It sounds like the idle circuit may still be gummed up, try cleaning the carbs again.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
13 Aug 2007 09:39 #163536 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Newbie Starting Problems
Dirty carb problem. CLEAN the carbs REALLY REALLY good, including the idle passages.

More
13 Aug 2007 10:00 #163543 by Thistle
Replied by Thistle on topic Newbie Starting Problems
Thanks for the quick replies. After cleaning the carbs, I was unsure about how many turnsI should back out the idle mixture screw. I guessed at 1-1/4 turns. But now thinking about it, I also replaced the o-ring for the mixture screw. As this was a 3rd party piece, it may be a different thickness. Which direction should I turn? Does it seem like maybe the idle mixture screw is too far in or too far out? Just hoping a little tinkering with this may help rather than taking the carbs apart again! :)

KZ550C1 1980
KZ650H1 1981

More
13 Aug 2007 13:27 #163572 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Newbie Starting Problems
If you need to start the bike with starting fluid, you need to remove the carbs and clean the pilot and choke circuits thoroughly. Use NEW pilot jets if possible. I think they come in rebuild kits.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
13 Aug 2007 20:53 #163702 by almarconi
Replied by almarconi on topic Newbie Starting Problems
Hey DaveMcR,
Its always a good idea to check the compression first before spending alot of time working on other areas of a bike. If the compression checks out OK, I would next verify that the ignition system is working properly. If you have compression and spark the next item to consider is fuel. If the bike has been sitting for any length of time the carbs need to be cleaned and the gas tank more than likely is full of rust. Once you've got clean carbs and fuel system see if you can get the bike to run. Even if you get the bike started you've still got a ways to go before it running right. You should check the carb holder and airbox boots to make sure you have no vacuum leaks. Vacuum leaks can cause all kinds of problems(lean mixture, unstable idle..etc.
Also check the valves to make sure they are within specification. After doing all this the carbs will need to be sychronized using a manometer or set of vacuum gauges.
I'm learning that you also need alot patience when working on these old bikes. Sometimes I've just got to
walk away I get so frustrated. When working on a neglected bike it seems that once you get one thing fixed something else needs attention.

1981 KZ550C LTD (SOLD)
1980 GS750L
1982 KZ750N1 Spectre (New Project)

More
14 Aug 2007 08:34 #163798 by Thistle
Replied by Thistle on topic Newbie Starting Problems
Thanks for the replies everyone - certainly got some more hours ahead of me. I have taken on board all suggestions and will let you know how it goes....
D :)

KZ550C1 1980
KZ650H1 1981