Oil covered engine

More
07 Aug 2007 18:56 #162346 by edjo69
Oil covered engine was created by edjo69
Hello, I am working on a 79 kz650c for my friend. I am re-doing the carbs for him. Heres the next issue, the entire front of the engine is covered in oil, from the valve cover down to the bottm, being thicker at the lower portion. Bike has been sitting for quite awhile so it may have been accumulating over time. I searched a bit a found an overwhelming number of oil leak threads. So my question is this, what is the likly culprit?? Thank you very much, Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2007 19:00 #162352 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Oil covered engine
i would guess the valve cover gasket to be a good starting point,but id take it to the carwash and give it the scrub and rub first to make the process easier.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Aug 2007 19:48 #162373 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Oil covered engine
Valve cover can leak, but that's a man-made leak from taking the cover off and putting it back on with a bad gasket or crap on the surface. A valve cover gasket will never just start leaking out of the blue sky on it's own if it was sealing at one time. Same with the head gasket and base gasket. These can still leak, but KZ650 is covered in rubber orings that will leak. On the front of the engine you have the tachometer drive with 2 rubbers there, also the 4 cam end plugs and the orings between the head and cylinder and the cases and the cylinder. Only the tach drive is on the front of the engine though. Like plummen said though, oil leaks can be elusive as oil runs all over the place after it leaks so clean her up and see whats going on.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Aug 2007 05:52 #162463 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Oil covered engine
You can go through and fix every possible leak point or you can clean the engine thoroughly and then buy a can of powder-based spray deodorant. Spray a little bit on everything then start the engine. The oil leak will soon show in the fine covering of powder. Fix that spot.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Aug 2007 10:45 #162529 by edjo69
Replied by edjo69 on topic Oil covered engine
All good info, thank you. I will start with a good engine degreasing at the car wash and start checking mentioned spots. Thanks alot, Ed

More
08 Aug 2007 11:18 #162535 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Oil covered engine
make sure you cover the carbs, if you dont have a stock air box on it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
08 Aug 2007 11:24 #162536 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Oil covered engine
edjo69 wrote:

the entire front of the engine is covered in oil, from the valve cover down to the bottm, being thicker at the lower portion.

Tach seal:

elegant fix for same

More
08 Aug 2007 17:49 #162608 by edjo69
Replied by edjo69 on topic Oil covered engine
Ok, Bike is back from the car wash all clean and fancy. Tach drive is way loose, should I go ahead and replace the seal and o-ring? Can I get the parts from Bikebandit? Thanks again guys for all of your help, Ed

More
08 Aug 2007 17:51 #162612 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Oil covered engine
Bike Bandit is all right. For more personal service take your business to Jeff at z1enterprises.com .

Good luck.