Torqueing protocol ?

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Aug 2007 18:01 #162319 by JR
Torqueing protocol ? was created by JR
I have a minor, slightly irritating oil leak at the cylinder base gasket just under the cam chain tensioner and was thinking of retorqueing the cylinder head nuts.
What's the best way to do this or is it even worth the bother ?
Should I loosen and torque to spec one nut at a time in the sequence shown in the manual or is there a better way to do this ?
Thanks guys

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2007 18:17 #162324 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Torqueing protocol ?
The recommended way is to torque the bolts in 3 or 4 stages following the recommended pattern. As an example, if the torque in 20 lbs., go in stages such as 5 10 15 20. Then I always go over them again at the 20 to be sure that as you tightened them in sequence it didn't relax the torque on the ones in the first part of the sequence.
But, are you sure it isn't just the cam chain tensioner leaking???
Ride safe.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
07 Aug 2007 18:17 #162325 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Torqueing protocol ?
JR,I wouldn't loosen them first...just retorque them,and yes...follow the sequence in the manual,Bud.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
07 Aug 2007 18:41 #162338 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Torqueing protocol ?
Hey JR. I would cheque the cam chain adjuster first but you have probably already done this.

Clean the motor with a pressure washer to get the old oil off. Get a small bottle of baby powder and put a light dusting around the base of the jugs. Fire up the bike and let it warm up good. Within a few minutes you will notice where the leak is coming from as the oil will leave an identifiable path through the baby powder.

Clean off the motor and retorque the head following the sequence in the manual.

Repeat the baby powder procedure to ensure you took care of the leak with the retorque on a warm engine. If this didn't do the job you might have to pull the head off and carefully lift the cylinders up an inch or two (not over the bottome rings) so you can get at the base gasket to put a thin bead of high temperature liquid gasket along the top and bottom of the base gasket.

Good luck and thanks again for the Stella Artois beer you brought in your visit a few weeks back.

Cheers-Colin

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Aug 2007 20:09 #162383 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Torqueing protocol ?
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try a re torque at the weekend. I'll have to get a new torque wrench though. My old one which I've had since about 1980 only goes up to 3.4 kg-m and I need 4 for the nuts. The old one is probably out of whack by now anyway. Any suggestions for a good brand ?

Thanks for the tip Colin on just raising the barrels and using liquid gasket - yes it is the base gasket, not the tensioner - had'nt thought of that one.

Glad you enjoyed the Stella, I could'nt find any Moosehead !!:laugh: :laugh:

Post edited by: JR, at: 2007/08/07 23:10

More
07 Aug 2007 20:29 #162391 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Torqueing protocol ?
JR wrote:

...have to get a new torque wrench.... Any suggestions for a good brand?

The original genuine Black Forest brand torque wrench has no equal, being scientifically calibrated to the precise German Virgin Standard, which in your particular application should be set to Guttentite (as opposed to the more commonly recognized Canadian method of turn it until it strips, then back off 1/2 turn).

Hope this helps. :P

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• JR
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Aug 2007 20:34 #162394 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Torqueing protocol ?
Patton wrote:

JR wrote:

...have to get a new torque wrench.... Any suggestions for a good brand?

The original genuine Black Forest brand torque wrench has no equal, being scientifically calibrated to the precise German Virgin Standard, which in your particular application should be set to Guttentite (as opposed to the more commonly recognized Canadian method of turn it until it strips, then back off 1/2 turn).

Hope this helps. :P

:laugh: :laugh: :lol: :silly: :lol:

More
08 Aug 2007 05:50 #162462 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Torqueing protocol ?
I suggest you also look at the oil pipe orings. These things get hard and can leak and are in the same area as the cam chain tensioner which can also leak.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!