How Hot?

More
06 Aug 2007 15:43 #162107 by Powder Keg
How Hot? was created by Powder Keg
I've got a 77 Kz650 that is running hot? I don't know yet how hot, but I'm going to check it out with a Pyrometer that I've got. Where should the reading be taken? I imagine on the head somewhere?

I don't know how to get it to cool down? I set the valve clearance. Could the oil pump be going out on this? I don't have a oil cooler yet but I'm going to add one soon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2007 16:05 #162112 by Powder Keg
Replied by Powder Keg on topic How Hot?
I thought I'd add a little more. It takes 20 minute's or so for it to start to get hot. It slowly starts to loose power.

Can I add a oil pressure gauge anywhere on here and how much pressure should it have? Thanks, Wes

More
06 Aug 2007 16:48 #162118 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic How Hot?
Wes,I'm not sure what You're talking about Bud,but a pyrometer is a probe used for reading the exhaust temperature,and You would have to drill a hole in one of the pipes(or all of them,and use 4 pyros)and install the probe into the pipe,just before it starts the downward bend,directly off of the head.
I have them installed on My snowmobile,and they're used for jetting purposes.You jet where You think You want to be,and the pyro will give You an exhaust temp reading,and from there You jet leaner or richer depending on the reading You get.
Aluminum melts down at 1100 degrees F,so You would use the pyrometer to get You close to that,to get the leanest,most effective jetting(for a snowmobile).

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
06 Aug 2007 17:36 #162124 by Powder Keg
I have an optical pyrometer good to 500 degrees. I got it at radio shack. You just point it at the object and it will tell you the temp;)

More
06 Aug 2007 17:50 #162128 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic How Hot?
If you are running NGKB7ES plugs try the 8s.
You might want to richen the carbs up a bit.
What speeds does the bike seem to run hot at?

More
06 Aug 2007 20:18 #162160 by steell
Replied by steell on topic How Hot?
Powder Keg wrote:

I have an optical pyrometer good to 500 degrees. I got it at radio shack. You just point it at the object and it will tell you the temp;)

I'm like Sandy, I believed that Pyrometer referred to exhaust gas measurement as well, but I looked it up on wikipedia and you are quite correct in calling what I refer to as an infrared thermometer a pyrometer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrometer

I have no idea what would be an acceptable temp at any specific external location though.

KD9JUR

More
06 Aug 2007 20:42 #162169 by Powder Keg
So, Is what I'm describing a sign of overheating? What are the signs short of melted aluminum? I checked my timing for the first time since I've had my bike tonight. I had to move the points plate a bit over a quarter of an inch. It was retarded that much.

More
06 Aug 2007 22:04 #162183 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic How Hot?
Powder Keg wrote:

I love those, use one in my kitchen (ala Alton Brown) but while 500 degrees is fine for a pan of hot oil....do you think it'll be enough for your engine? I'm not sure...

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
07 Aug 2007 00:22 #162190 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic How Hot?
Check your jetting. Do you have pipes and pods? If so you need to rejet. Take a look at the plugs-white too lean, tan good, black too rich.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
07 Aug 2007 13:12 #162269 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic How Hot?
220~ 260 on exaust pipe 1-2 inches from head near the downward bend. it's good to have similar readings dosen't need to be exact but if there is a 100 degree difference adjust the carb idle mixture screws.

if you are concerned about melting aluminium there will be little bits of grey balled material on the plug electrode.

get a optical or look into the spark plug hole with the piston at T.D.C you will definately see the detonation scars if there are any

ignition timing is the tuning detail that will raise the temp most

don't forget these bikes will get oil temps of near 300 F. in the summer

I like to run ngk b9es in the summer it is 2 steps colder that what is recomended

More
07 Aug 2007 15:08 #162279 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic How Hot?
300 degrees is fine for a first fry but if you want those french fries to be nice a crispy, do a second fry at around 450.

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
07 Aug 2007 17:15 #162301 by Powder Keg
Thanks Trippivot, Thats about what I thought. I timed the bike last night and it ran great this morning. started acting up after work though. I think it is a plugged fuel filter. I put on this new tank and I added a new glass filter. There was some red stuff on the screen? I'll clean it tonight. The temp was only 260 degrees near the spark plugs. That was the hottest place I could find.