Number two cylinder not burning right

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Constructing Scat Rat out of a 78 650D SR
More
05 Aug 2007 12:06 #161888 by Scatdrat
Number two cylinder not burning right was created by Scatdrat
I bought this bike back in April with a new Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust on her. She has a beautiful sound but the number two pipe has not blued at all. The other three pipes have blued identically, but this #2 doesn't seem to be getting hot enough. I have cleaned and reseated the headers, replacing the O-ring seals and collars. I have mechanically sincronized the carbs and did a rebuild kit on the #2 carb. I would like to do a vacuum sinc but I need to do some valve checks first. The #2 plug seems slightly fouled while the others burn well (all are new B7ES). All plugs spark well when I pulled to check. Other than the valve check and vacuum sinc, I don't have a clue as to what is causing this.

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2007 12:45 #161894 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Number two cylinder not burning right
Suggest checking (emphasis on #2 cylinder):

Compression;

Valve clearances (adjust if too tight).

Check service fuel level in float bowl on #2 carb (quick and easy clear plastic tube method on bike with no disassembly required). If level is too high, the mixture will be excessively rich regardless of otherwise proper carb settings.

Would also spray water mist on hot headers to see if it sizzles off #2 header. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.