exhaust clamshell thingies

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
05 Aug 2007 05:23 #161805 by riverroad
exhaust clamshell thingies was created by riverroad
Good morning all. This morning I decided to tackle my annoying leaking exhaust ticks. So now I have pieces parts laying all over my driveway. When I started wirebrushing those clamshells, I noticed that some are stamped from a thicker guage steel. And the thinner ones are somewhat deformed.
Anybody know where I can get another set made from the thicker material? Maybe even Stainless? I didn't see any on Jeff's site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
05 Aug 2007 08:53 #161848 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic exhaust clamshell thingies
I see those things on E-Bay steadily. Not sure about the thickness of the metal but there are various sizes for different applications.

kzcsi

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
05 Aug 2007 10:43 #161865 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic exhaust clamshell thingies
Grab Your Wallet! :ohmy:

Edit -- Try again

Hating the Friken Little Red X

Edit #2 -- one last time, if all else fails, just go to Redlinecycle.com and navigate from there to the exhaust parts.

Edit #3 -- So just type redlinecycle.com in the browser address box and click on go. Then navigate.
:(

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/08/05 13:46

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/08/05 13:50

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/08/05 13:56

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Aug 2007 11:55 #161883 by Patton
riverroad wrote:

Good morning all. This morning I decided to tackle my annoying leaking exhaust ticks. So now I have pieces parts laying all over my driveway. When I started wirebrushing those clamshells, I noticed that some are stamped from a thicker guage steel. And the thinner ones are somewhat deformed.
Anybody know where I can get another set made from the thicker material? Maybe even Stainless? I didn't see any on Jeff's site.

Usually the split collars are okay to reinstall.

Would always use new copper crush gaskets.

My preferred procedure for reinstalling the headers is to first carefully clean the engine exhaust recess area (q-tips and acetone works) and use a little Permatex hi-temp on new copper crush gaskets. Put the new gasket into place and the thin coating of Permatex (in a clean recess) holds it handily in place. Let it set up a little. Okay to put another thin coating on outside surface of new crush gasket

Thanks to the crush gaskets remaining in place, it's now possible to more easily manipulate the split collars and clamps into position (without masking tape or rubber bands on the split collars), and without gaskets, collar halves and clamps all escaping and falling all over the place.

The Permatex secures the seal between gasket and engine and between gasket and header flange.

So easy. So quick. No TICK TICK TICK. :woohoo:

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/08/05 16:36

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
05 Aug 2007 13:02 #161895 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic exhaust clamshell thingies
DAAAAAaaam! Those are expensive!
I ended up just straightening them up with a little hammer and file work. Someone had cinched them down somehow and half of them weren't even seated it the recesses of the flanges right. I'm suprised they didn't leak any worse than they did. I went to O Reily's and bought some of that K&W copper coat gasket spoodge, so I'll do the red silicone thing next time. This time I'll just do the rubber band thing.
Still don't know why there's two different thicknesses though.
Well It's almost 100 degrees on my driveway and I gots to get this done. So I'll be coming up with a few new words I'm sure.
Thanks Patton.

More
05 Aug 2007 13:44 #161905 by Patton
riverroad wrote:

...This time I'll just do the rubber band thing....

Smells like . . . Victory! :P

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
05 Aug 2007 14:34 #161911 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic exhaust clamshell thingies
I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning...afternoon...anytime.
Got er DONE. Piece a cake! (lots easier than my old 750F)
THANKS! Goin for a test ride...:woohoo: