Oil leak from head gaskets

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
01 Aug 2007 20:04 #161239 by Qdude
Oil leak from head gaskets was created by Qdude
On the 77 650, there are four little humps (about the size of half a quarter) on the seam of the head and the timing belt/cam covers.

The leading edge of the front one is leaking oil onto the head. On both sides!

I know I could order a set online, but I just painted the engine, and the hot oil is lifting the fresh cured paint.:angry:

The silicon would be right now.
The gasket will need shipping time.

I would be happy to use the silicon, to keep the oil from ruining more of the paint.

The bike is a must use daily driver.

Should I not use silicon sealant?

Q

P.S. What is the correct spelling of gasket

Post edited by: Qdude, at: 2007/08/01 23:10

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2007 05:00 #161286 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Oil leak from head gaskets
From what I gather from reading your description, your cam plugs are leaking. The cylinder head gets line bore drilled after being cast in order to drill the cam caps and the holes on the ends of the head result. These are sealed using the rubber cam plugs. When you install them, you are supposed to use some sort of adhesive sealer. Liquid gasket maker works. I use a blue silicon GE automotive sealer and this works fairly well... it is common for the plugs to drool a little oil. You can usually remove leaking cam plugs after removing your valve cover, clean them so new adhesive will stick to them and clean the surface they sit in and re-adhere them. If you use a Permatex silicon sealer, use one that holds up to oil like the Permatex Copper liquid gasket maker.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 Aug 2007 05:24 #161292 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Oil leak from head gaskets
george is right, if you do go the silicon route, clean the head surface with carb cleaner to remove all the oil, apply a even coat and let it sit for about 15-20 min, then install the cleaned plugs, gasket and valve cover

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
02 Aug 2007 05:52 #161297 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Oil leak from head gaskets
I've been tossing this around in my head for quite some time now.
If the only reason the cam plugs are needed is to fill in the area from the initial machining of the cylinder head, why not just permenantely fill in that area (JB Weld or something similar) and be done with it?
I figure if you're going to remove the cams for whatever reason (valve adj, cam swap, etc) you're going to have the cam chain off of the cam gears, so there should be plenty of room to remove them at an angle.
Or am I missing another reason those recesses are needed? :huh:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
02 Aug 2007 07:29 #161306 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Oil leak from head gaskets
If they are leaking they need to be replaced because the rubber is hard as a rock from years of heat. Part # is 92066-1111. I would think most Kawasaki dealers would still stock these.
The 1977 model KZ650 was the first model that used these particular cam end plugs and they were noticably different than later years. If your plugs bow out in the center, these are original from 1977 and definately need to be replaced. If they are basically flat, then they have been replaced by the updated 1978-up plugs that were much better.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
02 Aug 2007 13:06 #161381 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Oil leak from head gaskets
If you JB Weld the rubber cam end plugs, and they harden and start to deteriorate, I suspect you would soon figure out why the JB Weld isn't the hot ticket. If you used some of the aftermarket cam end plugs made of aluminum, I can't think of any reason not to JB Weld them in place except I can't ever get them to fit right. Most of the time you have to file them on top to make them flush.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
02 Aug 2007 13:29 #161386 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Oil leak from head gaskets
Thanks for the heads up guys.

The painted engine looks great btw.

Q

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
02 Aug 2007 20:24 #161459 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Oil leak from head gaskets
wiredgeorge wrote:

If you JB Weld the rubber cam end plugs, and they harden and start to deteriorate, I suspect you would soon figure out why the JB Weld isn't the hot ticket. If you used some of the aftermarket cam end plugs made of aluminum, I can't think of any reason not to JB Weld them in place except I can't ever get them to fit right. Most of the time you have to file them on top to make them flush.

I think my question may have come across wrong.
I wasn't suggesting using JB Weld to SEAL the cam plugs into the head, but rather filling that cavity WITH the JB Weld INSTEAD of the cam plugs. More of a permanent type thing.

Yeh or Ney? :huh:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ