KZ 900 motor rebuild

More
31 Jul 2007 14:46 #160946 by Invicta 39
KZ 900 motor rebuild was created by Invicta 39
I have a spare motor for my KZ 900 and have pulled it completely apart. I would like some input as to parts for a rebuild. I would like it to be reliable and have ample power. I have heard about welded cranks and overbores etc but are not really sure what they mean.
Main areas for input are:
Overbore size (if any)
Pistons, Cams, valves, etc.
Welded crank ?
It will be put back together by a competent mechanic (not me).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2007 15:01 #160947 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic KZ 900 motor rebuild
The cranks are pressed together when made so welding it makes sure it won't twist. I would build the bottom end as strong as possible so you won't have to go back in if you get bored with it and want to go bigger. Have the crank trued and welded, use heavy duty studs and have the main cap machined and get a plate for it. All that stuff can be done and parts purchased at APE. You can get any big bore kit you want but if your going to be riding in traffic you maight want to stay around 100 cc's. Go with 10.5 to 1 compression with an oil cooler. You should spend some money on the head or even switch to a J model head. Get the guides, seats and a good valve job done. For cams there are a lot of choices. You will probably need the head clearenced for the cams depending on how big you go. Then you have find some carbs to go with all the other stuff. I'm going to try a set of 34's on my 1075cc and see how they work. There are a ton of little parts you will need to go with all this also. While your at it you could also have the tranny undercut, again so you won't have to get back in the motor later. With all that and a new clutch you should be ready to go. It is spendy but IMO it's worth it. Especialy the bottoom end so you don't have to split the cases again later.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
31 Jul 2007 15:33 #160956 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ 900 motor rebuild
depends on what you want to do with it.the welded crank is always a good idea,milling the maincap and bracing is overkill for a bike that doesnt get dragraced or running lots of compression.again if you are not running lots of compression the oversize studs are more of a novelty item.id just go through the bottem end and check everything over good weld crank,check oil pump ,clearance cases to clear atleast stock 1000 sleeves so you are good up to 1075,install a new cam chain while youre in there and bottem side should be good for a long time.1075 is a common overbore the kz1000 cylinders.as far as the head goes it just depends on what it needs and how fast you want to go.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.