seized engine

More
31 Jul 2007 12:04 #160918 by igor47
seized engine was created by igor47
So, I went on a 3000-mile road trip last week with my trusty KZ550. On the last stretch, coming back home from NY to Chicago, my engine started making a funny noise while climbing Eastern Pennsylvania hills at 75MPH. I pull over, open the oil fill cap and find a ton of black smoke.

I let it cool down for a few minutes until the smoke died down, and then I did something stupid. I tried to start the engine and promptly seized a piston. I don't even know what caused the bike to overheat in the first place. I checked the oil level that morning, but it was really low after the bike got towed. Did I loose it along the way, or did it burn up in the engine? Was it the combination of hot day/hills/going at the maximum speed this bike was capable of?

Anyway, now I am in Chicago, having hitched a ride with a Semi at a truck stop, and my bike is sitting at some towing place in Mt Pocono. The question is, what do I do now? Should I give them the bike, new $250 tires and all? Should I rent a pickup truck and go pick it up? If I do pick it up, would it be only so I could sell it for parts? Or do I have some hope of bringing this engine back to life without an overwhelming amount of labor/expense?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2007 12:31 #160922 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic seized engine
well i hate to say it but by the time you put fuel in a truck for your 6000 mile roundtrip and whatever the tow/storage bill is your easily gonna gonna get more money into it than the bike is worth before you even get started on the motor.:(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
31 Jul 2007 12:42 #160927 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic seized engine
I just took my 1982 550 on a 1400 mile trip from boise, idaho to salinas, cal. for the moto gp races, I ran castrol synthetic oil and got a max speed acording to my gps at sea level of 110 mph. In total I went through 2 quarts of oil, 1 to get there and 1 to get back, my bike now has just under 19 thousand miles on it. 6500 rpm at 75 mph. but with a head wind 75 is all i could do. that is to long of a trip for this small of a bike but it was fun.Bike is still running pretty good but i need a valve adjust now;)

More
31 Jul 2007 14:10 #160938 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic seized engine
myself I would get the bike back, you could look into some carriers I think it would be cheaper than renting a truck and your time, you would then be able to pull the motor down and then make up your mind as to fix it or not

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
31 Jul 2007 15:06 #160950 by steell
Replied by steell on topic seized engine
Offhand, I'd guess somewhere around 600 miles one way from Chicago to Mt Pocono PA.

With storage charges plus gas (not including rental if needed), you are looking at ~$500 to recover the bike.
Then you start adding up the $$$ to repair it :(

If it has sentimental value, then go get it, otherwise just look for another bike.

My $0.0000002 anyway :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/07/31 18:08

KD9JUR

More
31 Jul 2007 16:39 #160965 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic seized engine
. . .stay tuned. . .

need a placemarker for now. . .

B)

More
31 Jul 2007 18:24 #160992 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic seized engine
Hmmm...how about a "KZrider Recovery Relay"?:whistle:
Just a thought. :laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
01 Aug 2007 09:54 #161140 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic seized engine
Hi Igor47. . .I'm Baaackkkkk. . . .

You ask a lot of interesting questions. And there are a couple of ways they can be answered.

Efforts to keep the bike, versus cut your losses.

It kind of reminds me of a story.

I sold a 1986 Toyota pickup to a guy on time, which was a bad idea anyway. It was only $2,200. With new tires, rebuilt inframe engine, and upgrade aluminum wheels off a Ford Bronco, I think. Truck was straight, and pretty.

I live in Atlanta, and after paying about $400.00, he leaves the state. Without letting me know anything.

I guess about a week goes by, and the next payment of $150.00 is due. Which shows up three days late in an envelope from Portland, Oregon. He was gone, all right. 2,800 miles or so.

His Dad has died. Rob was really sorry, but he planned on still making the payments.

I get one or two piddley payments and the trail goes cold.

Yeah, I believed it too.

Skip tracing is time consuming. And telephone calls can be expensive.

I finally find a contact number, and call.

"Hi" Rob's mom. Is Rob there?

No, should be back after a bit.

Ma'am, when he came back home, was he driving a little white pickup truck?

Yes he was.

Ma'am, that is my truck. He hasn't paid me for it yet. By the way, I'm really sorry about your husband.

Excuse me?

Well, I got a letter from Rob telling me the reason he had to come to Oregon was because his dad had died.

He said WHAT?

Yes ma'am.

My husband is FINE. Mr. Gilbert, Rob will call you Saturday morning.

6:30 am, telephone rings.

Poor Rob is crying, boo-hoo. Really sorry for telling me such naughty stories, and really plans on finishing paying for the truck. But it blew a head gasket on the way home and there is water in the oil.

Rob, you know, if you had TOLD me you were leaving the state and crossing mountains, I would have probably lent you a torque wrench to retorque the head bolts at a certain mileage to keep that from happening, and you could have sent the wrench back to me. I just rebuilt that motor and drove it to Michigan and back and put about 1,800 miles on it. When I sold it to you, I expected you and the truck to stick around so I could have done that routine maintenance and adjust the valves at the same time. But you removed it from my opportunity to take care of that for you.

More boo hoos.

"So now the truck isn't running?"

"No, it's parked in the yard."

Now I know where to send the repo guy.

Another $250.00.

Once the asset is recovered, I have to think about this. Do I stay or do I go?

I decide to go. Principles are expensive.

I re-ring a 720 Nissan King Cab for the tow vehicle / tool truck. Had bought it with a blown head gasket to fix; now I have a use for it. King Cabs are nice. The seats recline.

Another discussion with the repo guy nets me the knowledge that if I have the truck running, they will consign it out for me. I've never been to Oregon. A working road trip sounds fun.

I buy a 22-R head gasket, thinking that maybe all I need to do swap it in. I rent a tow bracket that will clamp the front bumper of the Toyota if I need it, just in case.

Let me tell you, there is no short cuts to Portland from Atlanta. Driving, eating beef jerky, drinking coffee, stopping for gas and to pee, for four days. Pulling off the freeway, across the intersection and back on to the entrance ramp median to sleep for awhile when stamina is blown. Four days it takes. And in November, there are genuine concerns that a sudden storm can usher in lots of cold and snow.

But no freak is going to rip me off.

Except for the cop who speed traps me when the limit drops from 65 to 55, just as I'm entering Oregon. I'm doing 72 at the time. With out of state plates. Welcome to Oregon.

He looks at my red eyes and I'm sure groggy looking expression.

Mr. Gilbert, have you been drinking?

ummm, no sir, I have been driving for four days from Atlanta to recover a truck that is located in Portland. I have been pulling off to the side of the road to sleep and I probably look pretty rough by now.

Do you have your proof of insurance?

Yes sir, but it's in the glovebox with my gun, I wouldn't want to suprise you when I open my glovebox by not telling you first.

Do you have a permit for it?

Yes sir.

Eventually after putting his own gun away after his panic attack, the officer writes me an expensive ticket and releases me with the admonishment to drive safely.

Great.

Later that day, I get to the truck at the repo yard, and have at it. Before he leaves, the repo guy gives me the gate code so I can get out and in if I need anything. Things are looking up.

About two hours later, I have the head and pan off. I need rod bearings. The journals are fine.

Kind of wished I had thought to bring some along. Auto parts stores in Portland can get them, maybe, in a few days. Like I can afford to wait.

So plan "B" gets put into operation. Tools put away, Toyota engine parts put into Toyota truck bed. Lights wired in, PIAPOS tow bracket secured, most likely illegally, and I am underway with disabled vehicle in tow.

You haven't lived until you tow a small pickup with an only marginally bigger small pickup. While driving through wet, rainy, turning to big blobby fluffy flakes of snow, while tired, on two lane mountain roads.

Once on the interstate, there is a really unnerving experience that awaits.

When a semi passes, first the back of the towed vehicle gets blown to the right, which transmits opposite force up through the tow point, which is then felt through the steering wheel, requiring steering correction to the left.

Then, as the the semi reaches the front of the towed vehicle, the buffeting reverses, requiring steering correction to the right.

Finally, as the semi continues his passing, the pressure wave pushes the front of the towing vehicle to the right, once again requiring steering correction to the left.

I did that caterpillar crawl for the next three days, while traversing this great country of ours. At 65 miles an hour. Humming "keep an eye for da po-lice." I do a fair Bob Seegar imitation when I am sleep-deprived.

The whole trip took eight days, and cost a lot of money and time.

I resold the truck for $1,850. After the new bearings and head gasket were installed, and replacing the front bumper that got crushed during transit.

The money orders Rob sent were dishonered at the bank.

Would I do it again?

Could it be done again?

Should it be done again?

Should you stay or should you go?

Now that you have the answers to some of life's great questions, you can tell us how it turns out.

:woohoo:

More
01 Aug 2007 11:51 #161160 by JR
Replied by JR on topic seized engine
Great yarn KaZooCruiser

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
01 Aug 2007 12:49 #161169 by hmondo
Replied by hmondo on topic seized engine
KaZooCruiser -- That's one heck of a story...WOW! Thanks for the interesting read, but with all of that under your belt, life has got to be pretty sweet...now!

Post edited by: hmondo, at: 2007/08/01 15:50

1989 KZ1000 P-8 (Police)
1987 ZL1000
1986 Concours (Project Bike)