I Gotta Beeg Problem

More
28 Jul 2007 19:57 #160401 by Z1Boise
I Gotta Beeg Problem was created by Z1Boise
I've been fighting a sooty sparkplug in the 3rd cylinder of my '75 Z1B 900. Tried the WG coil relay mod, checked compression, valves, fuel levels with the clear tube method, put in Z1Ent carb kits, dialed it in with the online help of this forum, including wiredgeorge. Still problems.

Mostly at low throttle opening levels and rpms, stutter, runs ratty. Very good at middle and higher, strong acceleration.

Tonight I pulled the carbs, recleaned them (4th time), checked the plugs. When I put the plugs back in, the 3rd, the problem cylinder, wouldn't tighten. I've been very careful, but I think the threads have worn down. I've always hand threaded it in, to ensure I don't strip the threads. Not cross threaded, just worn down. Little metal shavings around the top of the plug opening.

So, what do I do? Will teflon tape work on a temporary basis? Do I have to pull the heads, and, ... what?

I'm bummed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2007 20:09 #160405 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic I Gotta Beeg Problem
Epoxy!

No, really, I'm just kidding. Could you move up to an 18mm plug. Is there something resembling a8es??

How about just bore it to 18mm and screw a 14mm-18mm adapter in it...?

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
28 Jul 2007 20:25 #160411 by 79kz650
Replied by 79kz650 on topic I Gotta Beeg Problem
you need to helacoil the head to fit your plug

More
29 Jul 2007 09:30 #160516 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic Pull the head?
I not familiar with a helacoil. Is that when you drill our the hole and thread in a new threaded opening? I guess that involves pulling the head, since I don't want shavings in the cylinder. Sounds like something a machine shop does, rather than little ole me.

More
29 Jul 2007 19:27 #160621 by Bob_79KZ
Replied by Bob_79KZ on topic Pull the head?
Do what I did...go down to ACE hardware and get a
14mm plug rethread kit that they sell.

Its better that a heli-coil and easy to do. Coat
the rethreading tool with grease and it will hold
onto the chips. What few chips that do fall in
the cylinder won't hurt nothin.

I'm over here in Emmett by the way...

Bob

More
30 Jul 2007 05:01 #160669 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Pull the head?
go to napa, get the thread inssert, it will last longer than a heli coil, if you dont want to pull the head, coat the tap with grease it will catch most of the shavings, use a shop vac and rig up some hose to go inside the spark plug hole to suck it out before installing the plug and running it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
30 Jul 2007 09:57 #160720 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Pull the head?
Sounds like you have some good ideas to work with so far. My first guess was a helicoil.

More
30 Jul 2007 10:00 #160721 by Snakebyte
Almost forgot check the chock plunger o-rings. Take the enrichening valve out the sooty spark plug cyinder and switch it with another cylinder and see if it soots a different plug.

More
30 Jul 2007 12:17 #160740 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Pull the head?
There has been a lot of talk over the years whether it is necessary to remove the cylinder head or not to repair spark plug hole thread. I personally would remove the head. Get a new head gasket. Re-anneal your four outer bronze crush washers that go over the engine studs and pull the head off. I just don't think you can do a good enough job of keeping shavings out.

I personally won't use Helicoil brand thread repair kits for spark plugs. I use NAPA brand as they are ONE PIECE and won't unwind over time. They install using anaerobic thread locker to hold them and if it ever fails and the insert comes out with the plug, you can just clean the insert and put it back in.

NAPA has two lengths of spark plug insert. Once is 1/2" and is too short and the other is 7/8" and a tad too long. Get the longer and cut it to the proper length.

Cutting the thread is HARD TO DO... see if they have instructions on drilling the hole which makes the job a lot easier.

Good luck... if you have the opportunity to buy Timeserts, these are superior to other inserts but do cost a bit more. There are plenty of inserts on the market and in this application, a solid insert is better than a coiled wire type.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 Jul 2007 13:03 #160755 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic Pull the head?
Thanks again, guys. I guess I have yet another opportunity to learn something. Thread inserts, here I come.

More
31 Jul 2007 04:39 #160850 by Snakebyte
Didnt kknow that there was a difference:huh: in inserts. I thought that all there was is helicoil. What do the other ones look like?

More
31 Jul 2007 04:48 #160853 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Pull the head?
the inserts are thin ss with a shoulder to seat the plug and the insert to the head, that way when you install a plug all the thread pressure is on the insert not on the threads in the head

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob