Funny shifter.

More
28 Jul 2007 12:00 #160311 by brawnyrebel
Funny shifter. was created by brawnyrebel
Well it's actually not that funny at all. When i push my shifter down into first it stays there. I can pull it back into nutral but no second gear. I just had the motor out of the bike and turned every witch way but loose to paint it. What have i done and what should i be looking at? which cover am i going to have to pull

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2007 12:04 #160314 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Funny shifter.
it won't go into second if its not running.

More
28 Jul 2007 14:12 #160334 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Funny shifter.
Usually, it won't go into second if it's not moving. This is normal, makes neutral a lot easier to find.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
28 Jul 2007 17:26 #160359 by brawnyrebel
Replied by brawnyrebel on topic Funny shifter.
Thats good to know. Right now it functions as a two speed where the shifter is either down in first or up in neutral and makes no effort to return to its usual resting place. It functioned fine before i took the top end off of it. I did not remove any covers or change anything but the top end but i did drain it and turn it upside down to paint it.

More
28 Jul 2007 17:41 #160364 by Frank
taking the top end off could not cause this. By what your sayin is the shifter stays down when shifted to 1st and stays up when shifted to neutral. Thats wierd could be a shift linage problem if you removed it to remove the engine from the frame.

More
28 Jul 2007 17:42 #160365 by Frank
the model and year of your bike would help to.

More
29 Jul 2007 07:42 #160491 by brawnyrebel
Frank wrote:

taking the top end off could not cause this. By what your sayin is the shifter stays down when shifted to 1st and stays up when shifted to neutral. Thats wierd could be a shift linage problem if you removed it to remove the engine from the frame.

It is a 76 900ltd. The only thing i took off was the shift lever. It did start the first try after having the top end and carbs apart though.

More
29 Jul 2007 08:28 #160502 by The Milkman
One of the guys with more experience and knowledge will be more help but, the spring in this picture may have come loose. Well that picture sucks, resizing made it unreadable,

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/07/29 11:38

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
Attachments:

More
29 Jul 2007 08:36 #160504 by The Milkman
It's thee spring in my crude box.:laugh: :laugh:

Attachments:

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
29 Jul 2007 08:57 #160508 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Funny shifter.
brawnyrebel wrote:

Frank wrote:

It is a 76 900ltd. The only thing i took off was the shift lever. It did start the first try after having the top end and carbs apart though.

Did you re-install the shift lever in the exact same position on the shift shaft splines?
Before removing my shift lever, I took a razor blade (anything metal and sharp, like a dental pick, will work here) and scratched a small line across the lever and shift shaft so that there's no question as to refitting it in the proper position again.

Re-installing it in a diff than original position would probably only affect the angle the lever sits at, but then again it could possibly be causing it to rub somewhere - is there a chance that you have the shift lever pushed to far onto the shaft, and it's rubbing/binding on the engine cover? :huh:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
29 Jul 2007 09:52 #160528 by brawnyrebel
I don't think that rubbing is the issue. The spring is a viable option though. Is that behind the clutch cover ?

More
29 Jul 2007 11:43 #160538 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Funny shifter.
I know a couple of guys who experienced something like this after the bike fell over on the left side and banged the shifter on the grond it knocked the linkage out of whack.had to pull the clutch and line the levers back up on the drum or something like that.