Clutch pushrod worn through..

More
27 Jul 2007 12:38 #160103 by coppertales
Clutch pushrod worn through.. was created by coppertales
where the pushrod goes into the block on the left side. I bought the bike, 82 KZ1100D, as a parts bike but it was in good enough shape to put back on the road. One day the clutch quit. When I pulled the clutch cover off, everything seemed ok. I then pulled off the left side, which is a PITA because of the drive shaft, and the clutch pushrod was worn, deeply grooved, and had snapped off. I am surprised the pushrod steel end pieces do not ride in the "washer" where it enters the crankcase but instead rides on the aluminum part of the pushrod. The question is, do you have to split the cases to replace the "washer" part? It looks like it is a bit worn. Out of the 6 KZ's I have owned, I never came across this problem before. Thanks....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2007 03:27 #160258 by mattylight
Replied by mattylight on topic Clutch pushrod worn through..
there is another post on kzrider from a week or so ago outlining the exact same problem...which is also a problem i have...never really got an answer as i recall.

More
01 Aug 2007 12:01 #161162 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Clutch pushrod worn through..
I scored a pushrod off ebay for 20 bucks, a whole clutch assy was included. Ain't ebay grand for parts. It is no big deal to install except for hooking up the driveshaft, a PITA. If the removal/install was not such a PITA, I would have pulled the pushrod out of #1 bike which is down for a warped valve. Pushrod should be here tomorrow. chris3

Edit: Now that I think of it, I believe this worn pushrod problem is caused by a worn/binding clutch cable which, when the clutch is released, does not allow any slack in the linkages which puts too much pressure on the clutchrod ball bearing, which causes the pushrod to turn instead of spin on the ball. The clutch cable was very corroded causing it not to release when I got the bike. The damage was already done by the time I put a new cable on.....chris3

Post edited by: coppertales, at: 2007/08/01 15:42

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE