oooooo that oil smell

More
26 Jul 2007 14:36 #159896 by squints
oooooo that oil smell was created by squints
you guessed it. Im burning oil. I figure on a 20+ year old bike its probably the piston rings. To put this problem off until winter a buddy recommended using a heavier oil. I use 10-40 now, would switching to 20-50 really make a difference.

What else other than piston rings could be the problem? Any troubleshooting ideas?

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2007 14:58 #159901 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic oooooo that oil smell
If it burns oil when you first start it up, it would be the valve stem seals.

Measure your compression with the throttle wide open. Write it down. Then add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and measure it again. If the readings jump up then you know it's the rings.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
26 Jul 2007 15:12 #159908 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic oooooo that oil smell
I've never heard that higher viscosity can reduce oil leakage past the rings. I'd be curious to know if that will work.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
26 Jul 2007 17:48 #159935 by squints
Replied by squints on topic oooooo that oil smell
compression huh? now what if i dont have a compression gauge, any other ways to test or a cheap way to make a gauge.

would have carbs that are out of sync effect this at all?

Upstate NY

More
26 Jul 2007 17:51 #159938 by squints
Replied by squints on topic oooooo that oil smell
valve stem seals???? how would i tell if its burning just at start up. any way to check the seals there. i was going to adjust my valves soon anyway....

Upstate NY

More
27 Jul 2007 04:39 #160013 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic oooooo that oil smell
You can't make a compression gauge. If you own an older bike, it is worthwhile to buy one... autoparts store...

Get one with a rubber tip on the end that can be press fit into the plug hole so you will avoid having to worry about getting the correct size and thread pitch adapter that screws into the hole.

Kent gave you some good advice and you want to sync the carbs to check your oil burning problem? Bwhahahaha There are two places where the oil can come from that is being burned.
1. cylinder head
2. cylinder/pistons

If the cylinder head is the cause, the oil seals are bad or the valve guides are bad or both. End of story. Bad oil seals drool oil into the combustion chamber when the bike sits and the bike tends to SMOKE at start up... there will be smoke at other times but more at start up.

If the cylinder/pistons are bad, there is poor seal between rings and cylinder wall... this can be that the pistons and/or cylinder bores are worn past service spec, the rings are shot, the cylinders are no longer round, a ring is broken, a piston lan (slot where ring sits) is cracked.

Kent suggested checking compression to narrow down the likely source of the problem. Test 1 dry. Test 2 wet. Hold throttle open. A BIG jump in compression means the cylinder/piston is the culprit. A modest jump means some wear in that area but the head is most likely the problem.

Syncing the carbs won't correct any of this. To fix any of these things will require removing the cylinder head and/or removing the cylinder and possibly the pistons. Swap your cam chain and associated bits out when doing this work.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Jul 2007 05:21 #160023 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic oooooo that oil smell
I like to use the screw in kind of guage. I tried to hold my old push style gauge, pull the clutch in, and hit the start botton with my nose. I dont think I need to tell you guys what happend after that:pinch: :whistle: :blush:

Chances are it needs valve stems guides and seals. I pulled the head off my kz and still saw crosshatch in the bore at 17,000 miles. That was 11 years ago and when I pulled the plugs last year I stuck a thin flexible led inside the cylinders and still saw a little crosshatching.