kickstart has no resistance

More
26 Jul 2007 08:08 #159798 by cannibal440
kickstart has no resistance was created by cannibal440
i thought i would try the kickstart out on my 78 kz650. i can hear it ratcheting on the way up but i have no resistance going down. i want to make sure nothing is loose in the motor that could cause trouble. i know theres a one way clutch on 4wheelers with kickstart. is it the same way with these motors?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2007 08:14 #159800 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic kickstart has no resistance
Don't pull the clutch lever when you are kickstarting or it will disengage the kickstarter from the engine,,

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
26 Jul 2007 09:09 #159807 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic kickstart has no resistance
My 650 uses the clutch pack to turn over the engiine, so yes release the clutch lever. The only time you want to hold in the lever would be when you hit the electric start.

More
26 Jul 2007 10:15 #159827 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kickstart has no resistance
The kicker gear engages 1st gear directly and there aren't too many ways to screw up assembly. Only thing I can think of other than the clutch lever issue is when the kicker was removed, the external stuff wasn't assembled right. There should be a plastic or aluminum sleeve over the kicker shaft outside the engine cases with a stout spring around it. One spring end is fitted into a hole in the cases to locate it and the other into the kicker mechanism in a small hole as memory serves. If the kicker shaft isn't "preloaded"; that is, the shaft isn't rotated as far clockwise as possible (about 3 oclock) then the mechanism won't work right... it will actually drag if the bike is started with the electric start. I believe you would take the kick lever and put it on where the lever points to about 12 oclock. Then, rotate the lever clockwise to about 3 oclock. Remove the lever and THEN stick the aluminum or plastic sleeve over the kicker shaft and install the spring. I haven't done this for awhile so check your manual to make sure I didn't dream this.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jul 2007 11:42 #159856 by cannibal440
Replied by cannibal440 on topic kickstart has no resistance
lol yea i did have the clutch pulled in. i didnt even think about it. thanks guys! :laugh:

• dadams7161
  • User
  • live to Ride Lifes Better on the Road in the wind
More
30 Jul 2007 10:40 #160727 by dadams7161
Replied by dadams7161 on topic kickstart has no resistance
Dont feel bad cannibal440. I did the same thing on my KZ750 wasnt even thinking about it when I tried to kick start it LOL.

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR Twin
3rd Owner of this Jewel
Before and After Photos