97 kz1000p timing chain rattle

More
26 Jul 2007 02:28 #159738 by Misery
97 kz1000p timing chain rattle was created by Misery
HI I have a 97 kz1000p that i acquired from Hollywood motors about 6-8 months ago (if you want one they have tons) I was lucky enough to find one with what i can only assume is parade chrome since i have never seen another one with chrome covers on the motor and cant find em for sale.

Anyhow I have been hearing a noise i can easily pick out as a timing chain rattle. I had a slight oil leak which wasn't helping the oil pressure to the chain tensioner I'm sure but that has been sorted out, and it still happens.

I know there is an adjuster for it right above the oil pressure switch that i just changed out due to the leak. there appears to be a hex shaped cap and I'm not sure if thats the adjuster or if it's underneath that. I was told b y a guy who works near me with a Kawi concourse that their one way adjustable only and not to adjust it until after i have the exact method down so that I don't over tighten it because then I'd have to take it all apart to fix the situation.

I'm starting to fear riding it until I get it fixed and Its my daily rider (Las Vegas is nice riding year round usually if you can deal with the weather)

Does anyone know the proper method to adjust the chain? I'm a mechanic by trade but i haven't gotten my manual for it yet.

Please help me fix my baby:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2007 05:17 #159757 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 97 kz1000p timing chain rattle
The tensioner on your bike is automatic... there is no tensioning adjustment. There are two beveled wedges with the one that pushes on the cam chain having a big stout spring on it. You can easily damage this tensioner if you start cranking on the parts that LOOK like they are intended to tighten.

How many miles are on this bike? The cam chain is a hyvo type can can have the cam chain replaced with a master link type so that splitting the engine cases isn't necessary. It would be tricky to do with the cylinder head on the bike but could possibly be done. You would have to break the old chain, link it to the new, and draw the new chain around the crank sprocket by pulling it through with the old chain. Once you have the new chain around the crank sprocket, you would install the master link. I personally would want to look at all the rubber bits associated with the cam chain so I would disassemble probably. If you were to replace the chain with the head on, the only tensioning bit you would see is the rubber bumper in the valve cover... also keep in mind the chain will look a tad slack with the valve cover removed because the bumper on top provides some of the tensioning.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jul 2007 08:21 #159802 by Misery
Replied by Misery on topic 97 kz1000p timing chain rattle
Here is the cap i was talking about. good to know it wont make any adjustment to it. guess ill just wait until i get the head work done.

guess i gotta get my celica finished soon so i can get this head sent off and do my chain at the same time. I was hoping it'd las me the summer since the celica was undergoing performance work soon but it'll have to wait since i need wheels soon.

More
26 Jul 2007 10:29 #159831 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 97 kz1000p timing chain rattle
Why is the head being sent off? If you haven't removed it and inspected/measured, what makes you think it needs machine work?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!