smoke screen at higher RPMs

More
30 Jul 2007 21:44 #160835 by k0pper
Replied by k0pper on topic smoke screen at higher RPMs
Ok so here's the latest,

I decided that due to possible multiple problems with compression, blow by, etc I think I'm just going to get a top end rebuild done

My buddy and I are going to rebuild/clean/sync the carbs then take it in to the shop

my question, what does a top end typically cost? and would my local kawasaki service shop be able to do it?

If not, does anyone know of a shop in the greater Savannah, ga area that could do one? thx in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2007 04:44 #160852 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic smoke screen at higher RPMs
I dont think you will find a kawi dealer that will touch it, besides there prob nobody worjing in the shop that was alive when the bike was built,
Since you are in ga try shooting Duck a pm, he may be able to help, he is in the atlanta area,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
31 Jul 2007 05:40 #160865 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic smoke screen at higher RPMs
If you want me to give you an estimate on a top end rebuild, I would tell you that it will cost somewhere between $200 in parts and $1200 in parts... plus labor. Honestly, you FIRST have to figure out WHY repeat WHY your rings are not sealing.

To figure out WHY your rings don't seal, you have to measure the cylinder bores at several different angles with a bore gauge AND measure the pistons in the proper place. If the clearance is outside spec, you can install new rings and they WILL NEVER SEAL. The pistons or cylinder bores or both will be too far worn and you will be forced to use oversized pistons and bore the cylinders or find a new block and piston set from a used bike.

If you find the cylinder bore to piston clearance is within spec, you may be able to just hone the bores and re-ring.

You may also find that the cylinders are out of round... this comes from piston rocking; this is why you measure the bores in several different orientations of your bore gauge. In this case, you will need to rebore or replace the cylinder and use larger pistons or different pistons.

Lots of variables so there really is NO way to estimate the cost till you tear the engine down UNLESS your shop decides that a sure way to fix the problem is a piston kit and reboring. That WILL fix any problem but is probably the most expensive option. You also probably need some attention to the cylinder head. Decarboning, lapping the valves in and new seals at a minimum; new guides and a valve job and maybe even new valves at the worst. The former would cost you $10 if you have already have lapping compound and a lapping tool and just needed to buy seals BUT the valve job with guides/valves? Hmmm maybe $500 with labor/parts?

Even if you find a shop to do this work, you had best get a manual of some sort and read about what needs to be done so you can make some good decisions. You will also want to redo the cam chain assembly... new guide bits and a new chain while this stuff is being done. My general approach is to buy used block/piston sets and do some careful measuring. I keep those sets that are well within spec. I also buy cylinder heads and find those that do not require valves, guides or valve jobs and just basic clean up. I have spares sitting on the shelf ready to install as this is far cheaper than machine work and new piston kits or new valves. I don't cut corners on the cam chain bits.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!