• pgrojean
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Pete
More
25 Jul 2007 11:51 #159552 by pgrojean
Stator rotor noise was created by pgrojean
Some advice plese..
I've recently fixed an old oil leak coming from the stator wires where they exit the stator cover. But now there is a sound coming from that area that is related to engine speed. It sounds like the stator rotor is rubbing a little bit on the sheet metal plate that is inside the stator cover and which hold the stator wires firm against the cover. I know all the bolts were put in and everything is "tight". Has anyone else every experienced this conditon? I'm tempted to just leave it alone and see if it slowly stops, but then I've made that sort of mistake before and really regretted my laziness!!
Thanks for your help.
peter

KZ1100 LTD - 83
R1200 C - 98
RD 250/350 73
KLR 650 - 06
XS 650 - 79

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2007 12:15 #159555 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Stator rotor noise
3 words Peter...pull the cover!

Seriuosly Bud,if You leave it alone,You risk that tab wearing right off,and potentially slicing one(or more) of the 3 stator wires.And THEN You have problems.Especially if it happens away from home,and a wire gets cut...You WILL eventually lose all battery and the bike will die,once the battery has drained.

If You just had the cover off,chances are that You can re-use the gasket.
Don't leave it Peter.Don't be lazy.Put DOWN the remote...shut off the computer,and get Your ass out there and DO IT!:laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
25 Jul 2007 12:59 #159566 by barney
Replied by barney on topic Stator rotor noise
Sandy said it :P :laugh: :sick: :blink: :pinch: :silly: :woohoo: :whistle:

• pgrojean
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Pete
More
25 Jul 2007 13:08 #159570 by pgrojean
Replied by pgrojean on topic Stator rotor noise
OK - I will, and I know you're right! It's just that I'm getting really good at pulling this cover off and redoing the gasket and ... It took me several times before I realized the oil was coming from the wire holes in the rubber grommet. When I fixed that, I was in such a hurry to get it all back together that I failed to bolt the stator to the cover which, as you may guess trashed the stator when I ran the bike. So I replaced the stator and MADE SURE that everything was correctly bolted up and then this damn noise :(. Good thing I don't make a living fixing bikes:blush: Thanks for your help.

KZ1100 LTD - 83
R1200 C - 98
RD 250/350 73
KLR 650 - 06
XS 650 - 79