yet another clutch problem

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
25 Jul 2007 05:37 #159440 by riverroad
yet another clutch problem was created by riverroad
My plates aren't sticking good enough. It's not all that bad yet, but if I roll on WOT in fifth, the clutch will momentarily let go at about 7 grand. But then it just bites back in and pulls hard. I've adjusted the push rod and cable and everything.
Question is, before I take it apart, is there anything else to do? Different oil? Magic spell? It's not that pressing of an issue right now. I'm busy as hell, and it rides just fine if I don't horse it, but I know it ain't gonna get any better. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2007 05:50 #159445 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic yet another clutch problem
Just make sure you are running regular 10w-40 oil. Mobil 1 / car synthetics have additives that will cause the clutch to slip (this is not hearsay, I have actually noticed this phenomenon).

The only other thing to do is replace the clutch plates. Get them from a reputable source (like Jeff at Z1 enterprises) - you don't want crappy clutch plates ruining up your nice engine.

More
25 Jul 2007 05:57 #159448 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic yet another clutch problem
I doubt you can find "crappy" clutch disks for a KZ... not sure how many companies manufacture them but most all the aftermarket disks come from only a couple companies and all of them are OK as far as I know. I NEVER buy disks... I have a stack of used disks pulled out of fragged engines and I use these. If the plates are within thickness spec and flat they work as well as a new disk.

It could well be a problem with the springs, and not the clutch disks. Take the clutch apart and check the metal disks to make sure they are flat... if they are not, the clutch can let go... also, check your manual and see if there is a spec for the springs. I can't remember but if the springs are tired, they will not hold the clutch as they are what return the disks to re-contact each other when the clutch is not engaged.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/07/25 09:00

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Jul 2007 06:10 #159455 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic yet another clutch problem
I think you can find some clutch plates on E-bay I wouldn't recommend. The problem with some clutches is that they "come apart" and ruin internal engine bearings.

Not nearly as much of a problem with our sturdy KZ's, but it sure pisses off the GPZ turbo guys when someone puts a Barnett clutch plates in!

I forgot about the springs. And WG is right, make sure to check what you got against the manual specs (for springs and plates) to see what you have to replace.

More
25 Jul 2007 06:12 #159456 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic yet another clutch problem
You can change the springs one at a time without
taking the clutch apart.I would try that first,
it doesn't take very long.Put in some HD springs
from APE,etc..I have had HD springs of one brand
or another in my bike since 1978.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
25 Jul 2007 06:18 #159458 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic yet another clutch problem
Thanks George. newbikekiller, I just use Castrol 10w/40.
George, what do you use to check spring pressure? Or do you just go by the total length? I don't have my manual with me.
And do you have a source for some different springs, maybe just a tad stiffer? I've had stiffer feeling clutches on smaller bikes and I didn't mind it.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
25 Jul 2007 06:20 #159463 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic yet another clutch problem
Thanks guys, I was typin while yous was postin.

More
25 Jul 2007 08:04 #159491 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic yet another clutch problem
Here's a link to Jeffs(Z1 Enterprizes) A.P.E. heavy-duty clutch kit,Bud...

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=172

1977 KZ1000 A-1