pulled the tank. cant get fuel to the carbs

More
25 Jul 2007 02:40 #159412 by cannibal440
pulled the tank. cant get fuel to the carbs was created by cannibal440
i have a 78 kz650 and i pulled the tank off to re-do some wiring. i just put the bike back together and a clear fuel filter is in line between the carbs and the petcock. i can see a small amount of fuel in the filter but before i pulled the tank the filter was full except a small bubble at the top.

how can i purge the fuel line?
can i disconnect the small hose from the carb and blow in it to push fuel through?
what position should the arrow be pointing on the petcock?
if i disconnect the small hose will gas come pouring out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2007 03:27 #159415 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic pulled the tank. cant get fuel to the carbs
Some small fuel filters are for dirtbikes and will not flow enough gas for a larger bike.If your petcock is
not labeled pull the hose off of ot and quickly turn
the petcock to where no gas comes out.Then put on a
longer hose and drain the gas out of the tank.When near empty you should be able to tell which position is reserve by it's ability to drain the tank lower.When empty take to the cap off the bottom of the petcock and check it's screen for any debris.You should be able to drain the carbs and then hook up up the fuel system.
When the gas tank is full,turn the petcock to on momentarily with the carb drain on one carb open.It should not take long for fuel to come out.If it does
not try opening the gas cap,check for a plugged vent.
If no gas flows yet,try it without the filter.If no
success you have a blockage in the carbs.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
25 Jul 2007 05:26 #159436 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic pulled the tank. cant get fuel to the carbs
cannibal440 wrote:

i have a 78 kz650 and i pulled the tank off to re-do some wiring. i just put the bike back together and a clear fuel filter is in line between the carbs and the petcock. i can see a small amount of fuel in the filter but before i pulled the tank the filter was full except a small bubble at the top.

how can i purge the fuel line?

As long as the filter is one of the smaller type, you shouldn't need to "purge" anything. A small air bubble near the top isn't going to hurt anything, it's not a fuel injection system feed by a fuel pump.

can i disconnect the small hose from the carb and blow in it to push fuel through?

By doing that you just might burst the diaphragm in the petcock, so I'd recommend against it.

what position should the arrow be pointing on the petcock?

Since you mentioned it has a smaller hose, my guess is that it's the original vacuum-operated petcock?
If so, then turning the lever towards the back of the bike would be "ON, facing straight down is "PRI" (=prime, and dispenses fuel by gravity. Used to refill the carbs if you've completely run them dry), and turning the lever facing forward is "RES" (=reserve).

if i disconnect the small hose will gas come pouring out?

If you've got the hoses hooked up correctly, then no. If gas does leak out of it after you've disconnected it, then you've got probs somewhere.
That hose is simply a vacuum hose that uses the engines air intake (vacuum) from the intake manifold to pull fuel into the carbs.

Hope this info helps. :)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/07/25 08:28

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
25 Jul 2007 05:55 #159447 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic pulled the tank. cant get fuel to the carbs
Did you check the hose going from the petcock to the carbs for a kink which will not allow the fuel to flow? It has happened before,,, :ohmy: . Yes air in the filter is not problem at all.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
25 Jul 2007 10:33 #159532 by cannibal440
Replied by cannibal440 on topic pulled the tank. cant get fuel to the carbs
the original fuel line was getting soft so i replaced it. it was leaking at the petcock barb. i rode the bike around my neighborhood for a while, it was backfiring a little in the beginning but after riding it 5 miles everything is working great. the filter is only about 1/4 full but it may slowly fill up. it doesnt get lean on fuel so i think it'll be ok. thanks for everyone help.