New Valve Cover Gasket

• Night_Train01
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2007 11:47 #158931 by Night_Train01
New Valve Cover Gasket was created by Night_Train01
I am about to put my motor back into the frame on my Z1-R project. I ordered a new valve cover gasket from Z1 and will install it tonight. I know these gaskets are famous for leaking around the cam end caps. I am unsure if I should use an RTV sealant when I put the new gasket in......any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2007 12:20 #158935 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic New Valve Cover Gasket
Z1E sells THREEBOND. I use it on some of the gaskets on my bike including the valvecover endcaps.
RTV well ooze out into your motor when you tighten it down...don't use it.

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2007/07/23 15:21

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• Night_Train01
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2007 12:52 #158942 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic New Valve Cover Gasket
Thanks, I will look for the threebond on the Z1 site.

More
23 Jul 2007 14:35 #158964 by darmahsd
Replied by darmahsd on topic New Valve Cover Gasket
Get the Klasmo all billet cam end plugs to start, a permanent fix. < www.z-klasmo.de/ > I center a small bead of RTV around them and drop them in their slots on the head. I take the gasket and first spray the side facing the head with rattlecan silver paint. After it dries, I flip it over and spray the cam cover side with Permatex Copper Spray-A-gasket. After it tacks up, I line it up and stick it on the cover and place it on the head, snugging it down but not tight. I let it sit overnight, the trick being to let the RTV around the plugs form their shape and dry a little before torquing everything down. This is to prevent what Mariozappa was saying about squeezing it out into the inside of the cam box where it might end up plugging oil gallies. I've done it this way for years, even with the old rubber cam end plugs before discovering the Klasmos. I've had good results. When done properly, you can even re use the gasket for a second valve adjustment. Just clean and re spray the silver paint side, the Permatex side stays completely fixed to the cover.

Stephen

More
23 Jul 2007 14:54 #158973 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic New Valve Cover Gasket
If your cam end plugs aren't leaking, don't touch them. If they are, replace them with new ones. Don't try to seal old leaky plugs. Yamabond #4 at any Yamaha dealer is a better choice than RTV to seal the end plugs. I think the threebond is basically the same. If only replacing the gasket, I just put a little Yamabond #4 on the bottom of the gasket only where the 4 cam end plugs mate with the gasket. Bolt the cover on and you're done. No need for any sealer for this gasket. You can reuse the gasket for the rest of the life of the engine and it won't leak. At least mine never leak.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Jul 2007 21:25 #159097 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic New Valve Cover Gasket
When I replaced mine I used yamabond. I used a VERY thin coat and they never leaked a bit.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125