petcock replacements

More
03 Jan 2006 20:08 #15887 by mykznme
petcock replacements was created by mykznme
now that the jokes are out of the way.
my petcock started leaking and i disasembled it to find that the metal o-ring and rubber diaphragm are shot.
im looking for the rubber diaphragm and metal oring for a 76'kz400 petcock.
if anyone has a spare layin around i would be willing to buy the whole unit or just the parts.
this is a single straw two screw petcock.(not sure how other kz's are set up)

please feel free to move this post if posted in the wrong tech forum

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2006 06:42 #15921 by georgeha
Replied by georgeha on topic petcock replacements
I had to have a buddy (the same one who got me my Kz) help me on this. He's good friends with someone who rebuilds marine motors, so his friend has some nice thick gasket material and the tools to cut me a new four hole one.

I also had to recrimp my washer and repack it with lots of grease, it initially leaked, and I had to walk a mile on a hot June day in my full gear, overpay for a gallon gas container and gas, and get a ride in a trooper's car.

But it's good now, so maybe ask around at an engine repair place.

Thanks,

George

More
04 Jan 2006 10:40 #15957 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic petcock replacements
mykznme,

You may want to consider replacing that petcock instead. I can see the road you are heading down right now.. :)

www.z1enterprises.com/reference/petcock.aspx

I eventually replaced mine, after buying a rebuild kit, (still leaked) and then an e-bay petcock "in great condition", NOT...

I finally bought a Drag Specialty petcock, and adapter plate. Z1 has a similiar setup at that link above. You may have to file the tank hole a bit bigger, it takes all of 3 minutes.

Works great, does not leak, and probably cost all of $30. It's money well spent, well worth it indeed. And if I didn't buy the rebuild kit or used petcock, I would have the money for a Pingel, but the DS petcock works fine too.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
04 Jan 2006 19:59 #16049 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic petcock replacements
george i initially did the same thing and to no avail it still leaked.(about three drips per minute) i think the article on z1 hit it on the nose. years of rust being ground into the aluminum grooved it. and there was a good bit of rust in the bottom of the bell when i took it apart.

OKC_ after checking around and talking to a few local riders ive also heard that replacing petcocks is almost required after they start leaking.
besides that i searched high and low throughout the day and cant seem to find a kit for the petcock i have.

i checked z1 and found what i need. just a couple more questions.

does the clear fuel hose come in foot long sections?
say if i bought 3 units do they come seperate or a three foot long hose?
how heat resistant is it?

where should the Y-connector be located?

should i go ahead and buy an external filter or are they pointless?(theres already two on the petcock)

any ideas on what the shipping would be or a way on z1 to check it? 5 pieces totaling about 2 lbs.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
05 Jan 2006 07:49 #16102 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic petcock replacements
Call Jeff at Z1 about the hose lengths. I actually used some clear yellow fuel hose from a lawn mower shop, works great and is flexible.

Go to the Kawasaki web site, keep searching for the area that has parts diagrams. Find your bike and then look at the carb pictures, it should show you where the 'y' is. Do you have a shop manual yet? At least buy a Clymer if you can't find a real Kawasaki one. Ebay is great for them.

Check this site too, www.kz400.com It's the most complete site anywhere in the world on KZ400's.

And yes, use an in-line fuel filter! A hi flow model, not some lawn mower type. Z1 has them too.

Good luck and happy wrenching :)

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles