Clutch Free Play..Engaging at End of Lever Travel

More
23 Jul 2007 06:00 #158840 by deathman68
Hello all,

It's actually been a couple of years since actively posting on here, so it's good to be back (although it appears as if my status was lost with the "new" forum).

On my 1980 KZ1000, I'm experiencing an issue with my clutch whereby the clutch lever does not engage the clutch until it is almost completely released. Per my Clymer, I have adjusted the clutch cable and rod. The cable is properly lubed, and the clutch is new (actually replaced it b/c I was experiencing this problem and thought that maybe the friction disks were worn thin).

I can obviously turn the adjuster on the bars to get the clutch to engage sooner rather than later, but this violates the free play rule because it is putting constant tension on the cable. Is it possible that I am misinterpreting what it truly means to have clutch cable free play? I'm currently interpreting free play to only mean that I am removing nearly all slack from the cable using the rod and adjusters to achieve ~1/8".

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Jeff

Post edited by: deathman68, at: 2007/07/23 09:01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2007 06:08 #158842 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Clutch Free Play..Engaging at End of Lever Travel
My bike does the same thing, drives me nuts. I have new metal and friction plates in the wings. I put on a new clutch cable which helped a little bit, proper adjustment. It's just the way it is, my clutch has no slippage at all but I would really like it to grab a little closer to the grip. As you know, you can make it grab anywhere you want. So I'm just getting used to mine.. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
23 Jul 2007 08:57 #158872 by markmeinteil
Replied by markmeinteil on topic Clutch Free Play..Engaging at End of Lever Travel
Doesn't the KZ1000 have an adjustment nut on the clutch release rod on the left side cover as my 750 has?

More
23 Jul 2007 09:05 #158877 by deathman68
Replied by deathman68 on topic Clutch Free Play..Engaging at End of Lever Travel
Yes it does. Adjusted per spec with no change. Also tried playing with it to get the desired result..still nothing.

More
24 Jul 2007 06:30 #159154 by Kiwiz
One question is whether your release mechanism is worm or ball and ramp. I have 1981 1000J which has ball and ramp. Following Clymer is 100% Wrong for this system which only deals with the more common worm type adjuster. Clymer does not mention that the ball and ramp is adjusted in the reverse manner

Try unscrewing the cover adjuster until it meets resistance and then screw it back in 1/4 turn. See if it works then. if all else fails pull the cover off and have a look at the adjuster type.