New Guy...brings problems...

More
19 Jul 2007 06:59 #157917 by mattylight
New Guy...brings problems... was created by mattylight
hey everyone, i'm matt and i'm new here. i just picked up a 1980 KZ750 H, for a pretty much a song and dance. I've been reading a lot of posts on here and doing a lot of work to the bike to get it rideable...here's what I've got so far: i was told the bike has been bored over to nearly 800(i dont know how to confirm this) it has 4into1 exhaust and when i got it was running open throttle bodies, i have since added cone filters. the bike seems to run great now, except for one final problem: once it has warmed up, (after 10 or so minutes of riding) if it is turned off (or stalled...OOPS) it cannot be restarted, until it has cooled. the starter seems to turn over just like normal, all the lights work...any ideas? thanks!

matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2007 07:01 #157918 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic New Guy...brings problems...
have you tried to use the choke to restart

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
19 Jul 2007 07:11 #157923 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic New Guy...brings problems...
It might be your re-start technique. Do you twist the throttle when you hit the start button? It doesn't need gas to start when it's warm. If you give it gas, you could be flooding it.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
19 Jul 2007 07:18 - 03 Dec 2008 10:05 #157925 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 10:05 by JMKZHI.

More
19 Jul 2007 09:19 #157954 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic New Guy...brings problems...
All in mm's....(Pi (3.142) x R squared (radius of one piston x itself) x stroke x number of pistons) divided by 1000 = cc's.

More
19 Jul 2007 18:23 #158107 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic New Guy...brings problems...
Coils or ignition could be breaking down when hot.could be in the carbs or starter circuit could be pulling enough juice to keep it from firing.

More
19 Jul 2007 18:35 #158111 by kzluke750
Replied by kzluke750 on topic New Guy...brings problems...
I vote for Valve clearances being the issue! No question they should be confirmed.

1980 750 LTD Stock

Motors run on electricity, engines run on fuel.
-Jerry Baxter

More
20 Jul 2007 02:55 #158193 by mattylight
Replied by mattylight on topic New Guy...brings problems...
alright, i will check the valve clearances today. i will also check the spark on the plugs after the bike is warm. i have tried choke, no choke, half choke...all on the warm starts and nothing. i'll get back with answers. thanks for all the feedback so far!

More
20 Jul 2007 15:23 #158331 by mattylight
Replied by mattylight on topic New Guy...brings problems...
alright, after reading the write up on valve clearances i realize that i am missing a few tools and things neccessary to measure valve clearances. but i rode the bike for about 20 minutes and had a lot of the symptoms of valve clearance issues. so if anyone has any pointers on this process for a new guy let me know. i will be buying the feeler gauge, and shim puller tool, as well as a valve cover gasket soon. then i plan to make the measurment, and order the shims later. which feeler gauge on Z1 is the best set to go with? and where do i get the kawasaki shim puller tool? thanks again for all the help!

More
20 Jul 2007 16:58 #158337 by JR
Replied by JR on topic New Guy...brings problems...
The good news is that the shims are under bucket so you should'nt need a shim puller tool. Bad news is that if you do need to change shims you have to remove the camshafts first and then lift the bucket.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust