split the case

More
02 Jan 2006 19:05 #15740 by kz-mtd
split the case was created by kz-mtd
Is it going to be a tuff job spliting the cases? 1976(903cc)LTD decided to go bigger:ohmy:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2006 21:23 #15761 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic split the case
Put a new cam chain in while it is apart.

Jay

More
03 Jan 2006 01:25 #15777 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic split the case
Kz-Mtd, let's know what you are up to? The only reasons that I can think you would want to split the engine cases to "go bigger" are~
1) you are fitting bigger sleeves, hence, you have to bore/ file / grind the cases out.
2) you want to weld the crank shaft.
3) modify gearbox (undercut gears or extend drive shaft).

A new chain could be fitted by riveting in-situ. If you are doing any of the three items above, take Jay's advice and fit a new endless chain

Bigger bores can often be fitted without splitting the cases. APE-Jay would probably know the biggest sleeves that can be fitted into a '76 Z900 Ltd, without modifying the cases.

Regardz

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
05 Jan 2006 13:03 #16143 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic split the case
Easy as pie. Inspect your shifter forks when apart. Watch shifter forks when reassembling. Replace cam chain. Fill oil pump before reassembling. Ensure oil pump drive is meshed with crank gear. Look for o-ring between case halves. Pay attention to kick start gear reassembly. You do have a Clymer or factory manual right? Not a Haynes fan myself. Factory manual leaves somethings out that a journeyman mechanic should know, but dirt poor knuckle bashing home wrenchers may not. The hardest part is the kick start return spring. See how much skin you lose of the back of your knuckles trying to get it back in place. Get your dowels lined up in bearings so as not to misalign and try to tighten case bolts :whistle: What who me? Never.