Cleaning Engine Corrosion

More
02 Jan 2006 12:59 #15676 by Sweet Back
Cleaning Engine Corrosion was created by Sweet Back
I'm looking at making a purchase of a bike thats been sitting about 6 years. It looks like there is a considerable amount of corrosion, grey color stuff. I haven't decided whether to part or restore. Its an 87 KZ 1000p. I could use some parts for my original 1000p and sell off the rest, or make a bobber thingy majig or whatever. No gauges so mileage maybe a tough to figure, says he has paper work. Anyway, question is, can you bring back an engine from grey corrosion, and if so, with what? Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes...

1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2006 14:14 #15684 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
no first hand experience, but i got this:

www.team.net/sol/tech/clean_al.html

from here:

www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/articles.htm

looks like walnut shells #6 are the way to go.

(if it's not aluminum corrosion, but steel/chrome rust i highly recommend this:

www.evapo-rust.com

the rust just dissolves, if submerged in the product for a few hours.)

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2006/01/02 17:24

More
02 Jan 2006 15:07 #15695 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
In my experience in bringing my old "77650 back from the dead it comes down to what look you are chasing. If you want the engine cases to be polished to the exent you can see yourself (I don't know how ugly you are:) then it will take a lot of elbow grease and polishing.

I started by removing the pooched, oxidised cases and wet sanded them starting with #180 grit paper then moving to 220, 400, 600 then finally the fine1000 grit. Wipe the cases with a dry cloth to get as much of the dirt off of them then apply Auto-Sol with your fingers rubbing the stuff in really good. You will see the Auto-Sol cream turn from white to gray then black as it pulls the dirt out of the tiny pores. In the U.S. you might try using Mother's Billet Polish if Auto-Sol is not available. I used both but found the Auto-Sol to be better.

The final step is a soft buffing pad/wheel on a variable speed drill which will give cases a look that is just one step short of looking chromed.

For the engine cooling fins I had them bead blasted which gave a really cool and clean rough casting finish. For the bottom engine cases I followed the wet sanding routine but they didn't get as much attention as the removable cases since they were somewhat difficult to access and were less visible.

The whole job took me about 30-40 hours including the car tops and bottomes, valve cover and assorted engine parts and it was worth the time and they are fairly easy to keep shiny.

Or you can always just scuff the motor and paint it, but this is a process that might have to be repeated within a few years.

Cheers-Coin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2006/01/02 18:13

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• wireman
  • Visitor
02 Jan 2006 15:16 #15697 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
if you dont want tear apart the engine try some aluminum wheel cleaner and some hi pressure water that should take care of a lot of the white stuff,from there its a matter of polishing depending on how shiny you want the rest of the parts to be

More
02 Jan 2006 15:51 #15703 by froggy
Replied by froggy on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
Not to sure on wat polishing techniques to use maybe bead blast the motor ha if u can get the bike cheap enough id go ahead an bob it customize it people get a kick out of a customized police bike do something downright different to the bike thats the the direction
id go and post a pic if u do

More
02 Jan 2006 17:07 #15721 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
I sold a 77 KZ1000 to a buddy fairly cheap because it was oxidized REALY bad. The day after he got it, it was polished more than a showroom bike. He said he only used Mothers aluminum polish and steel wool. I was happy for him, but not for me! He even got between all of the cooling fins and the oil pan. Looked great.

More
02 Jan 2006 21:21 #15760 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...id,6/id,15759/#15759

I fixed your link :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/01/03 01:20

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
03 Jan 2006 08:45 #15814 by fergyfer
Replied by fergyfer on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
If the fairing is in decent shape, I'd be interested in it, if you have it. Let me know!

I've read incredable things about Autosol. I haven't found it around here but I haven't looked real hard. It is what I'd use to polish the show parts.

More
04 Jan 2006 10:36 #15956 by rodneyo
Replied by rodneyo on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
Elbo grease my son!:lol:

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
04 Jan 2006 10:52 #15960 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
life's too short for polishing and it's not corrosion, it's patina!

More
04 Jan 2006 12:03 #15977 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
Duck wrote:

life's too short for polishing and it's not corrosion, it's patina!

Duck, you've been watching too many 'Antiques Roadshows':lol:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
05 Jan 2006 12:41 #16138 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Cleaning Engine Corrosion
Autosol, elbow grease, non-metallic scrub pad (for engine cases) and clean rags. If you put the parts in the oven to heat up to about 150'F (shhhh don't tell the missus)the Autosol works real good on engine covers. Aluminium coil cleaner (refrigderation coil) works real good but should be thoroughly washed off. It will stain polished areas. Autosol for smooth polished covers and commercial aluminium cleaner for cases. Roomed with 4 other guys 20 od years ago. One winter had all 5 of us in living room during the winter passing Autosol around as we each polished our engine covers while watching the greatest game played (hockey).