Heavy knock

More
10 Jul 2007 09:42 #155930 by Makarth
Heavy knock was created by Makarth
hey guys, after riding the bike a couple of times i decided to keep the bike shut down until i can get this heavy knock problem solved. Here's some info to help you guys give me a more informed opinion. the petcock does not look stock, its a simple gravity feed system. a previous owner put inline filters backwards in the fuel lines as well pod filters for the carbs. i really doubt the bike is jetted properly or even synched for that matter. i have two videos for you guys one of the bike at idle and knocking and the other of the bike revving with no knocking noise.

actually you can hear the same noise come through 4-5 seconds of the revving video.

have at it folks, thanks in advance

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2007 10:52 #155953 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Heavy knock
Sounds like the crank bearings are shot. Get a long screw driver and place the tip against the top of the motor and the handle up to your ear......then do the same thing but this time place the screw driver on the lower part of the engine.....you will be able to tell where the knock is coming from......but in your case it sure sounds low....
I would not be reving it like that although the damage is probably done by now:unsure:

More
10 Jul 2007 11:25 #155961 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Heavy knock
Mine made a lot of bottom end noise at idle, but not up in higher RPMs until I synced the carbs up. If you're not sure if they've been synced or not you may as well start there. Once I got mine synced (only bench synced because I don't have a manometer yet) the knock at idle went away.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
10 Jul 2007 11:51 #155969 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Heavy knock
i figured synching it would help because it doesn't make that noise at higher RPM's. I'm actually gonna tear it down and do a rebuild until i get a new helmet and some other attire.

More
10 Jul 2007 19:16 #156049 by Steve M
Replied by Steve M on topic Heavy knock
Mine makes the same noise when it's not firing on all four cyclinders. I also noticed that you have no air filter at all. I cann't even get mine to start without a filter of some sort. Mabe that could help.

More
07 Aug 2007 12:43 #162260 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Heavy knock
Well i fixed her, took 2 days, chem tool, seafoam, bb's and alot of shaking. I knocked all the rust of the tank cleaned the petcock and carbs (with minor adjusting) and now she runs like a champ. No knocking idle or anything. Ran her around a bit and she's still a hoot to flog. Can't wait until my Gixxer swingarm comes in.

More
07 Aug 2007 12:53 #162262 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic Heavy knock
idle drop tune and sychronization will cure many mysterious knocks when the carbs are out of whack the whole engine is out it usually is the clutch basket slapping back and forth.

but sometimes the 3 starter clutch bolts coming loose will sound the same..

2 most common sources but further investigation is needed