help me out

More
09 Jul 2007 23:02 #155842 by badboie
help me out was created by badboie
my dad and I have been up and down on this problem trying to figure it out. Were stuck. After finishing my bike, we decided to start her up. started up fine but blew smoke. we rebuilt the carbes recently and synced them and they are like brand new. the gage shows the same across with the vacume and fuel. But for some reason the number one chamber is missing!! we lean it out... nothing, we richen it... nothing. We pull the plug and the spark plug is fouled. it happeneds to all the pulges we replace it with. we even checked the spark and its good. we checked the wireing and its all green. could the timing have anything to do with it? I dought it because all other 3 sparkplugs are fine. the normal white tip showes up on the plug telling me its fireing fine and its not lean or rich. Magneto? float? someting wrong with the #1 carb? I'm just confused because when you have a good spark, proper air/fuel mix and the timming is fairly good (It might need some work) you shouldn't have a miss right? I took it out for a ride and it misses for a while but when it hit a certain RPM it kickes in and damn near thows me off my bike. no more miss. which leads me to thinking that it could be a stuck valve maybe? any help please. thanks :blink:

Post edited by: badboie, at: 2007/07/10 02:06

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2007 03:13 #155858 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic help me out
bad valve seal leaking too much oil out of an intake valve?

do your secondaries move freely?

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
10 Jul 2007 03:34 #155860 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic help me out
Do a compression check.If good, swap #1 and #4 plug wires.If no change check the carb over real good,borrow
another set of carbs if possible for a comparison.

More
10 Jul 2007 04:20 #155864 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic help me out
badboie wrote:

...float?....

Easy (no disassembly required) to check service fuel level and compare with other carbs using clear plastic tube method method.

Too high fuel level can cause over-rich mixture even with an otherwise perfect carb. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Jul 2007 09:19 #156622 by badboie
Replied by badboie on topic help me out
ok progress report... The compression is great all across. the spark is hitting right. we rebuilt that #1 carb twice now. the valves are working fine. but there is still NO fire for some reason? if it was a timeing problem, wouldn't it show with the other plugs as well, at lease one other?? like I said befor, at idle and up til about 2100 rpm the engine misses in the #1 cylender after 25-3000 rpm it kicks in and runs fine. has anyone had this problem befor and knows or has any idea whats going on?? I'm lost. :huh: :angry:

More
13 Jul 2007 09:28 #156624 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic help me out
Did you switch the spark plug wires as tjettim suggested? If you do and the problem persists, it's probably not electrical, it's unique to the cylinder. If it runs fine at higher RPM, that suggests the pilot circuit.

When you went through the carbs, did you confirm that air would flow through the pilot jet orifaces? A clogged or partially clogged air oriface would cause a too rich problem at low speeds. Also, inspect the choke. If fuel is leaking past the choke, that will make it run rich.

More
13 Jul 2007 12:20 #156672 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic help me out
ohm test your spark plug caps
if they are not between 5K~8K ohms there is the problem higher than 8.5K represents a bad cap

when you remove the caps trim .25 of a inch off of big plug wire to get fresh connection into the cap.

a plug will fire out in the open atmosphere but inside the combustion chamber under pressure the excessive resistance through the plug cap will not allow it to jump the spark:
hence when you rev it up and increase the voltage pressure coming from the stator the threshold is surpassed and bang combustion!!

that is after carb issues are addressed and eliminated.

More
13 Jul 2007 13:02 #156678 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic help me out
I just had what sounds to be the same problem with my KZ750. It turns out that the coil was bad and not firing unitl after ~3000rpm. I replaced the coils, WG coil relay mod, trimmed the spark plug wires and the spark plugs. Now it runs great. Idles and pulls great.
Here is a link to my post:
Bad Engine? -- Now with video -- Update
~500 miles later and everything is still working great.

Post edited by: cafekz750, at: 2007/07/13 16:05

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles