74 z1 900 valve adjustment

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
09 Jul 2007 00:46 #155587 by oldkaws4ever
74 z1 900 valve adjustment was created by oldkaws4ever
im finally going to bite the bullet and adjust the valves on the 900. I took the valve cover off and was about to get started when i realized that the pages covering the vale adjustment procedure were stuck together, when i pulled them apart i pulled the ink off the paper, so now its unreadable..............bummer i know. Can any body tell me how to adjust the valves and what ill need. Thanks

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2007 03:11 #155595 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic 74 z1 900 valve adjustment
You will need a feeler gauge, a magnet, a 10 mm end wrench and a tool to hold down the bucket so you can get the shims out. You rotate the motor so the cam lobe is 180 degrees (i think) from the shim and measure the clearence between the shim and cam. I forget the distance. To pull the shim out you need to rotate the motor so the lobe pushes in the valve and use the tool to hold the valve open while you use the magnet to pull out the shim. Make sure write down all of the clearences so you will know what shims you will need. You might get lucky and be able to switch them around so you won't need to hunt any down.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
09 Jul 2007 06:37 #155615 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic 74 z1 900 valve adjustment
Use a 17mm wrench to turn the crank,do not try
to turn it with the small bolt.Set clearances
.004"-.005".The motor turns easier with the spark
plugs out.With the cam lobe pointing away from the
shim, with your feeler guage you can rock the crank
back and forth feeling the loosest part of the cam
heel.

More
09 Jul 2007 07:53 #155633 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 74 z1 900 valve adjustment
www.wgcarbs.com/index.php?option=com_con...view&id=18&Itemid=33

We have a tech article on this subject on our website.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
11 Jul 2007 00:50 #156070 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic 74 z1 900 valve adjustment
i took adjustments on the valves and everything was within specs, so i didn't adjust anything. While i had the valve cover off i got the ratty black paint off and polished it up. Then i got a bug up my but to put the 4 into 2 header on, changed the oil and fired it up. And guess what the ticking was gone, i guess it wasnt the valves, i had an exhaust leak and was getting a ticking sound, wich actually a popping sound . So problem fixed, i took the bike out, and wow she was so responsive. I was turning out of a side street and decided to crack the throttle, and i lit up the tire into 2nd gear. I got up to around 90mph real quick, then i turned around and pulled into a gas station to double check everything, it was all ok. A guy at the gas station came over to me and asked what the hell did i do to that thing to make it run so good, i told him nothing motor wise, just a 4 into 2 header dyna coils and wires and a k&n drop in air filter. We got to talking and this guy used to have a 900 kawi back in the 70's and said it was a real monster.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois