The dreaded tink tink

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jul 2007 21:09 #155566 by donthekawguy
The dreaded tink tink was created by donthekawguy
Ok so I get motivated this morning after working all night and decide to put my head on. I get it all set up make sure everything is clean and get the roomate to hold the cam chain while I slip the head on. I get it almost all the way on and hear a "tink tink" of something metal bouncing around. There was nothing on the head that can come off and nothing on the motor that can bounce around. So like an idiot I put the head on and torque it down. I spend the next huor putting the crappy exhaust on the didn't want to fit. I went to bed and woke up tonight with the thoughts of the first time I try to start it and it blowing up from something in the cylinder. :( Now I HAVE to pull it apart and see what the hell it was. I won't be able to sleep if I don't. Damn I should have stopped what I was doing and backed up when I heard the "tink tink". :sick:

Post edited by: donthekawguy, at: 2007/07/09 00:09

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2007 21:22 #155568 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic The dreaded tink tink
Don't sweat it Don. Been there, done that, got the "Did I F#@K Up Something?" T-shirt.

Get a good nights sleep and tear it apart again. When in doubt, re-check as these things can be expensive to rebuild, then rebuild again.

A month ago I had a couple of inexperienced buddies helping me slide the jugs over the pistons. We were using wooden golf tees to compress the rings and one guy said he dropped one into the bottom of the engine. The other guy said he might have dropped one also. Lucas assembly oil is really good for lubing up engine parts but lousy for trying to grip anything with it on your fingers:)

We ended up finding one floating in the oil and removed it. The second guy thought that maybe his hadn't dropped in since we couldn't find it.

Stared up the bike and it ran fine. A few days later I pulled off the valve cover to check a tight valve's clearances and found wood chips under one of the cam lobes.

I ended up dropping the oil pan and flushing out the crankase. I used a mirror to make sure nothing was caught in any gears.

As least I found a way to combine two of my favorite pasttimes, golf and playing with my old Kz.

Good luck.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2007 00:30 #155585 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic The dreaded tink tink
I think I'll start with sticking a magnet down each cylinder and then pull the pan off. I'll end up pulling the head off if nothing is found in the cylinders. I would rather do that than find out later. I knew I should have counted the cam cap dowels before putting the head on. That is the only thing I can think of that could have fallen off the head even though I had the head tilted towards the back of the motor. Maybe something hit the starter cover cuz it sounded sort of "tinny" when I heard it.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125