POD Air Filters = Big Mess

More
08 Jul 2007 16:07 #155501 by MikeW73
POD Air Filters = Big Mess was created by MikeW73
I got a set of K&N POD Air Filters off ebay and installed on my 1979 KZ650...I took the stock air box out along with the carbs for a good cleaning!

I put everything back together and now im stuck with more problems than i started with...the bike started up but idles very rough...ive been trying to adjust my air idle screws but nothing is happening, i finally think i got them were i want them and the bike sounds good and runs really good down the road but im burning something, it smells like oil but im not sure!

The vaccum line that runs underneath the gas tank that used to attach to the stock air box is hanging down, what should i do with that line, i plugged it with a cap and the bike seems to run much better but still have the smoke!

I have accel super coils, pod air filters, jetted up one size, dyna s electrical ignition and new battery.

Am i running too rich, do i need to change my plugs, i havent changed the oil this year could it be that?

Any help would be greatly appreactiated!

Thanks again!~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2007 18:44 #155532 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic POD Air Filters = Big Mess
That "vacume" line you call it is actually the crankcase vent that used to go into the airbox. DO NOT block this off, it's needed keep the case from over pressure. I ran a hose from the where that line attached and put on another small K&N filter on top of the hose. I then bolted the filter to the frame using one of the bolt holes on the upper frame tube.
Are you sure you put the carbs back together properly. If the bike ran good before the pods then it still be running good now.
I run pods, pipe, Duna S ignition and coils along with a big bore kit and mild cams. All I had to do to my carbs where one up on the pilot jets to 17.5 and I went with 118 main jets and the needle clip in the middle slot. Bike runs fantastic.

• slickware
  • User
  • My bike is as old as I am
More
08 Jul 2007 18:54 #155534 by slickware
Replied by slickware on topic POD Air Filters = Big Mess

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.