Starter trouble

More
06 Jul 2007 09:54 #155109 by ggenovez
Starter trouble was created by ggenovez
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my starter, this is on a KZ-1100-a1, but I understand the same starter is on the KZ-1000, 1000P, LTD and several others.

When I hit the start button, I get an awful whine. The engine barely moves, and when it hits the top of the compression stroke it often stops.

I usualy let go of the starter, put it into gear and bump it a little forward to get it past the hump. Sometimes this gets her running, sometime I have to repeat.

I took apart the starter clutch and it's fine.

The starter's brushes still have meat on them but have rounded to fit the armature. Could that be my problem?

Is there a starter FAQ? do I need a rebuild kit? if so which one?

Thanks

KZ-1100 A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2007 10:24 #155116 by twinkyrider
Replied by twinkyrider on topic Starter trouble
Are you sure the starter clutch that's bolted to the back of the flywheel that contains the springs, spring covers and rollers is not broken? Both my neighbor and I have had this part break and it is nearly impossible to detect unless you actually remove it from the flywheel(dynamo). When this breaks (cracks) at one or all three of the weakest points (about where the rollers rest)starting will be a hit and miss deal and the starter will sound like its free running but with the added sound of bolts rolling around in a can (cringe).

78 kz1000A
Fond du Lac,WI

More
06 Jul 2007 10:27 #155118 by ggenovez
Replied by ggenovez on topic Starter trouble
I am, Because I had one of the rollers break, and I replaced it.

It still did the same problem even after I replaced the roller...

KZ-1100 A1

More
06 Jul 2007 20:33 #155214 by oldkaw79
Replied by oldkaw79 on topic Starter trouble
I would take the stator cover off and make sure the bolt on the ensd of the crank that holds the magnet and flywheel on is tight. I had the bolt on a 1981 KZ 1000 back off and the starter would smake a funny sound and the motor would barley turn over. It sounded like the starter spins faster than the engine does. I diagnosed this by having the cover off and turned the motor over with the starter and watched the gear turn. Just make sure to take plug wires off so engine does not start.

More
06 Jul 2007 22:03 #155249 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Starter trouble
someone mentioned to me sometimes the positive cable that runs to the starters can corrode and go bad, even though they look good.

have you tried charging/setting charger to start

clean the rotor on the starter with some scotch brite, mine had rust and worked fine but i cleaned it anyways.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!