Strange Engine Problem Tonight - Opinions???

More
02 Jul 2007 21:03 #154376 by reborn650
Hey Gang - My 810 has been running perfectly, pulling better with the Gpz cams than I had ever imagined.

Tonight I had a little problem when I let it rip in the higher rpm's.

The bike cut out on me for a fraction of a second then it backfired out of the pipe - big time! It caught again and was fine. This happened to me twice when I had it on full song above 8-9 grand (maybe even more). I have had the bike up well beyond this range many times and it never happened before. When it cuts out, all cylinders are dead for just a fraction of a second.

Earlier in the ride my battery didn't have enough juice to crank over the starter, luckily my reliable kickstarter is always handy.

I had charged the battery a couple of days ago and it seems to be losing its charge for some reason. The battery is less than a year old, kept in a warm garage and I put the trickle charger on it every couple of weeks. The battery should be fine.

I realize that the backfiring is from unburnt gas building up in the cylinder, this tells me their is a misfire on the complete ignition system.

So, what could be causing my battery to lose its charge and cut out at high rpm.

Plugs are good and wires are new this season. Dyna S ignition and Dyna 4.0 ohm green coils.

So any ideas? I am strong with everything mechanical on the bike but my weakness is in the electrical gremlins.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2007 22:14 #154384 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Strange Engine Problem Tonight - Opinions???
I'd say check the wires around the coils for a bad connection. Also low voltage can cause the ignition to cut out at high RPM's where it needs more juice to keep the sparks up with the RPM's.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
03 Jul 2007 04:55 #154420 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Strange Engine Problem Tonight - Opinions???
have you checked the charging system, also look at all the grounds on the motorI would even add another one just to keep everything happy

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
03 Jul 2007 06:26 #154437 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Strange Engine Problem Tonight - Opinions???
Colin, You state, "battery should be fine"... this is a classic! A little motorcycle battery can sulfate in a matter of no time, regardless of how nice you are to the battery. Either get the battery load tested at an autoparts place or by a small hydrometer and check the cells. If the battery tests good, your charging system has some issue. It is loosing charge and I would be willing to bet that this problem is related to the loss of spark and backfire at higher rpms. If the battery tests good, check connections, as has been noted.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
03 Jul 2007 06:51 #154444 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Strange Engine Problem Tonight - Opinions???
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...w/catid,2/id,148248/

Had a similar problem but mine happened at lower rpm:(
Still havent found the culprit:angry:

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
03 Jul 2007 19:53 #154577 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Strange Engine Problem Tonight - Opinions???
My ZN does this every once in a while too.

The contacts within my ignition switch are worn beyond cleaning and will "kill" power to the bike every once in a while (always when accelerating), which creates a nice loud backfire. :pinch:
Turning the key every so slightly (about 1/16") counter-clockwise returns power to the bike.

I'd buy a new switch if they were still available, but the part# for it only fits the ZN700 and there are none to be found anywhere. :(

Also check the ignitor and it's connections, as this can cause similar probs.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/07/03 22:54

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
03 Jul 2007 21:47 #154605 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Strange Engine Problem Tonight - Opinions???
Hey Gang - I had to work a little late tonight and when I was going to take the bike out for a ride with a fully charged battery it started to rain.

I ended up pulling off the points cover and resealed (with electrical tape) the power line to the electronic ignition. I also rechecked the connections and found that the coil wire mod's relay might have had a loose blade connection. I recall this popping sound last summer once before and the connection was loose on the 4 prong relay.

I'll take it out tomorrow night and see if this fixed t he problem. If not, I will check the voltage on the battery and then the igniter and the rest of the wiring to the coils.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
09 Jul 2007 18:51 #155788 by 76 LTD
Check where the wires from the kill switch run down into the handle bars my 900 wore a small hole in the isulation and would intermitantly ground out on the bars.usually at higher rpm when the 900 buzz was coming on.

More
10 Jul 2007 07:59 #155909 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Strange Engine Problem Tonight - Opinions???
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

My ZN does this every once in a while too.

The contacts within my ignition switch are worn beyond cleaning and will "kill" power to the bike every once in a while (always when accelerating), which creates a nice loud backfire. :pinch:
Turning the key every so slightly (about 1/16") counter-clockwise returns power to the bike.

I'd buy a new switch if they were still available, but the part# for it only fits the ZN700 and there are none to be found anywhere. :(

Also check the ignitor and it's connections, as this can cause similar probs.<br><br>Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/07/03 22:54

R4, Ebay has ignition switches for KZ's... It will have a different key, but what else can you do? I think for the most part they are usually a "Universal" type of part.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles