615cc Big Bore Kit

• ScubasTrunkMnky
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jul 2007 10:59 #154250 by ScubasTrunkMnky
615cc Big Bore Kit was created by ScubasTrunkMnky
Ok, I have heard a couple of things. I'm just wanting to know what all is involved in doing the 615cc big bore kit? Will I need to have the cylinders bored at a machine shop or will the pistons fit in or what? Because I noticed the kit does not include cylinders.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ScubasTrunkMnky
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jul 2007 11:00 #154251 by ScubasTrunkMnky
Replied by ScubasTrunkMnky on topic 615cc Big Bore Kit
Sorry, 1982 GPZ550

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
02 Jul 2007 11:13 #154255 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic 615cc Big Bore Kit
Your cylinders will have to be machined for the bigger bore of the pistons.

I sent my cylinders to APE. Bought the 615 kit from them, and am very satisfied with the finished products. Installation is taking a bit longer, because now I'm thinking about rebuilding the bottom end, and sending them the rods and cranks to machine and balance. All done at once, and this engine will last another 45000 miles.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
02 Jul 2007 11:16 #154256 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 615cc Big Bore Kit
I suppose that someone who was familiar with the 550 would know the manufacturer of a 615cc kit based on the displacement sized the kit gave you... I will take a stab...

You will need to remove your cylinder head and cylinder block and have the block bored. The size of the bore will be the smallest bore possible to achieve the bore to piston clearance proscribed by your factory service manual. This service will cost a couple hundred dollars generally.

You will get pistons, piston rings, piston pins and a means for securing the piston pins inside the connecting rods such as circlips or buttons, etc.

Is is likely that the stock cylinder liners in your 550's block have enough material for boring to this width but I don't know that for sure. Ask the seller of the kit.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!