slipper clutch

More
06 Jan 2006 18:49 #16441 by KawasakiJockey
Replied by KawasakiJockey on topic slipper clutch
Uuhhhh no. If I am at 12,250 rpm and get out of it to rail a turn after shifting down, the rpms will be at or above 12000 rpm with engine braking. The rear wheel and engine has to be coupled as much as possible or somebody will pass you like you are tied to a pole. there is no time for rev matching. you slip the clutch enough to be back on the gas asap. The smooth rev and shift means you are slowing too early in racing. Like I said, I would blow by you like you broke your chain. The reason the new bikes have slippers is racing. All these production bike rules for pro racing gives us all the goodies that justifies manufacturer price increase. YOUR BRAND HERE benefits for a winning advantage(win on Sunday sell on Monday)and a new gadget to help sell bikes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2006 20:18 #16459 by steell
Replied by steell on topic slipper clutch
Apparently first used on the 1979 Honda NR500 GP bike, and commonly called a "Back Torque Limiter", and now it is virtually required on all (road) racing bikes.

Excellent read here: www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutch.html

Older car trannies without synchromesh had to be revved before letting out clutch to get engine speed and rear wheel speed to match.

That's not exactly right :)
I have driven over 3 million miles using non synchro transmissions, 7,9,10,13,15,18, and 5x4 transmissions in trucks, and the technique is called double clutching. Push the clutch in and slide the trans out of gear, let the clutch out and rev the motor, push the clutch in and put the trans in gear, release the clutch. But actually, most of the time I never used the clutch, and I'd trade my trucks in for a new one at 1 million miles with the original clutch in them.

double clutching used to be common in sports car racing (called heel and toe), don't know about now though cause I have not raced sports cars in 30 years.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/01/06 23:32

KD9JUR

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
07 Jan 2006 10:45 #16533 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic slipper clutch
"Some bikes have more engine braking effect than do others."

You've got that right George.

The worst bike I know of is the Kaw 1300. I don't like to let friends ride it not because they might crash it but because you can make the rear wheel skid just by chopping the throttle closed in first gear. Downshifting is deadly in first and second gear.

I've got to replace a clutch on my 85 1300. Does any one know where I might enquire about refitting it with a slipper model? There are probably none available for these old sixes, just not enough market.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300