slipper clutch

More
31 Dec 2005 05:46 #15372 by kz-mtd
slipper clutch was created by kz-mtd
What is the purpose of a slipper clutch?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2005 06:27 #15375 by Kawozaki
Replied by Kawozaki on topic slipper clutch
Not an expert on this, but basically they prevent rear wheel hop/chatter on big downshifts by slightly un-loading the clutch plates.

PS: if anyone else knows more 'bout these things, please feel free to correct me!!!

Post edited by: kawozaki, at: 2005/12/31 09:28

More
31 Dec 2005 07:00 #15381 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic slipper clutch
That's about it. I believe they use a ball and ramp system, similiar to a starter clutch. A cheap way to replicate is to crank idle speed way way up.

More
31 Dec 2005 10:49 #15415 by KawasakiJockey
Replied by KawasakiJockey on topic slipper clutch
Wheel hop and sidestepping are 2 reasons. The most important reason is to minimize grenading the engine because of over-rev at downshift. I wish my 954 had one as it takes a lot of concentration to grab front brake, downshift, and slip the clutch so the back tire doesnt come around on me.

More
31 Dec 2005 13:03 #15426 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic slipper clutch
Do you mean the kind that comes in some of the new sportbikes, or are you refering to a drag racing slipper clutch for a KZ? They are two entirely different things.

Jay

• wireman
  • Visitor
31 Dec 2005 16:42 #15455 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic slipper clutch
thats what im waiting to hear before i put my foot too far in my mouth,more info please!

More
31 Dec 2005 18:36 #15464 by RacerZ
Replied by RacerZ on topic slipper clutch
This is the same fellow who was inquiring about 1395cc Big Block kits, so it would stand to reason he's asking about the Drag Race Slipper Clutch. This is not something you'd run on the street, "Unless There Is Serious Money Up" that quote was taken from APE's catalog, like circa 1998. Have a look at these...

www.mtceng.com/clutches_slider.htm

Post edited by: RacerZ, at: 2005/12/31 21:36

• wireman
  • Visitor
31 Dec 2005 19:09 #15468 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic slipper clutch
well i suppose if you had everything else tuned to the knats ass on your saturdaynight special and you cant keep a regular clutch or even a lock-up clutch in it you might want to try this,but i think you better go buy yourself a good neckbrace before you launch because you are going to find the weaklink in your combination and if your tire doesnt break loose your neck might be next in line!not to mention they are usually tuned to the conditions at the time like a lock-up clutch which really complicates things when you want to go for a cruise.goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
31 Dec 2005 19:43 #15472 by TwoSeven
Replied by TwoSeven on topic slipper clutch
They basically work for people who cant use clutches :)

Its a couple of bearings in the clutch that fly outwards causing the clutch plates to not come together properly.

When you slow down a bike the rear wheel is often traveling faster than the engine speed (after its gone thru the primary reduction gears). If you engage the clutch, the rear wheel will suddenly have to slow down which causes the rear to chatter as it locks up.

The slipper clutch prevents this from happening by stopping the clutch plates from coming together causing a slight amount of slippage (how much you get depends on how its setup) - so the wheel instead of locking, continues to spin, but there is enough resistance to slow it down.

More
31 Dec 2005 22:43 #15483 by PuGz
Replied by PuGz on topic slipper clutch
Just to make it clear there are 2 diffrent things being talked about here, a slipper clutch and a slider clutch. Sliders are for dragracing(most high end bikes will use this).

More
01 Jan 2006 00:13 #15485 by steell
Replied by steell on topic slipper clutch
Here is a nice definition and description of a slipper clutch:
www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutch.html

And a description of a slider clutch, which APE also calls a slipper clutch:
www.gszone.biz/clutches.html

NHRA definition of a slider clutch:

Slider clutch: a multi-disc clutch designed to slip until a predetermined rpm is reached; decreases shock load to the drive wheels.

And here is the NDRA calling it a slipper/slider clutch:
ndra.nopi.com/2005/kd_dsp_art_detail.cfm?vaid=320

Standardized definitions are wonderful :S

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/01/01 03:14

KD9JUR

More
01 Jan 2006 07:28 #15497 by kz-mtd
Replied by kz-mtd on topic slipper clutch
speaking of the 1395,I had a talk with a couple of mechanics and the 1200 kit with head work will get the job done. I thought the larger the better :whistle: