wont start up at all

• DeftoneKZ440
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2007 14:37 #153707 by DeftoneKZ440
wont start up at all was created by DeftoneKZ440
I posted before a long time ago about this time, since then the bike has not been started up. Its a 1980 KZ440 LTD.It has not ran in over a year because it wont start up. The problem is i'll try to start it, the engine will start to crank up and then it will backfire really loud through the Carburetors. If i start it with the riding seat open so I can see where the battery goes, I can see smoke starting to come out from the carburetors. This is what i've done already to try to solve the problem... Change spark plugs, check fuel line, removed carbs and inspected saw nothing wrong they looked clean, and put it new gasoline. Anyone has any good advice or is my bike just dead and ready for the junkyard?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2007 15:25 #153717 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic wont start up at all
is it wired backwards? or the timing is wayyy off

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
29 Jun 2007 22:08 #153817 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic wont start up at all
bad cam timing or your valves met your pistons in an unfriendly manner.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• DeftoneKZ440
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2007 23:02 #153829 by DeftoneKZ440
Replied by DeftoneKZ440 on topic wont start up at all
I suspected it could of been the timing. I have the Do it yourself book on this model. Can adjusting the timing be done if I follow the instructions in the book?? money is tight right now i'm not sure how much it will cost if I can get it to a mechanic. I really appreciate the help, i'm so attached to this bike I dont want to have to junkyard it.

More
29 Jun 2007 23:29 #153830 by ScubasTrunkMnky
Replied by ScubasTrunkMnky on topic wont start up at all
You never have to junkyard a bike. You can literally build a bike from replacement parts. I realize money is tight, beleive me, I've definately been there, to the point where I almost lost my house. If you don't want to get rid of the bike, don't. Keep it. Check the timing, valve seats, even piston rings if it comes down to it. You can definately build a motorcycle motor with a manual if you have any mechanic's knowlege at all. Plus it will give you more experience and knowlege, which will make you want to keep the bike even more.

More
30 Jun 2007 04:16 #153837 by JR
Replied by JR on topic wont start up at all
DeftoneKZ440 wrote:

I suspected it could of been the timing. I have the Do it yourself book on this model. Can adjusting the timing be done if I follow the instructions in the book?? money is tight right now i'm not sure how much it will cost if I can get it to a mechanic. I really appreciate the help, i'm so attached to this bike I dont want to have to junkyard it.

Yes you can do it yourself by following the manual. Even if you have never touched a bike before you can do it. You will learn in the process.

Here's a usefull site.
www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm
Unless your mechanic is familiar with these old bikes I would'nt bother. That could be a big waste of money.

One more www.kz400.com/
Should be worth checking out

Post edited by: JR, at: 2007/06/30 07:18

Post edited by: JR, at: 2007/06/30 07:20

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• DeftoneKZ440
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2007 10:50 #154044 by DeftoneKZ440
Replied by DeftoneKZ440 on topic wont start up at all
Thanks for the advice, I feel more confident now that I can get it working. In the book I was reading about the different types of timing, i'll have to use the Static method since I cant get the engine running.