emissions blockoff?

More
29 Jun 2007 11:35 #153644 by themachine
emissions blockoff? was created by themachine
can i block off the exhaust emission lines that come from the top of the valve cover without it affecting the performance/driveability of the engine? otherwise what are your ideas to clean it up?

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2007 11:51 #153650 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic emissions blockoff?
on my 1980 z1r it has a hose connecting them,to each other.not sure about that but it has been like that since i got it.never noticed any effect.ape racing has some billet plates that replace both covers.might ck that out.

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
29 Jun 2007 12:59 #153669 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic emissions blockoff?
Because all the rubber hoses connecting the emission parts together were cracked, I just made a blocking plate out of aluminum and replaced the valves with them then ran a piece of hose between the two outlets. The other bike just has the hose. Both run just fine.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
30 Jun 2007 05:12 #153840 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic emissions blockoff?
I run a hose on mine, you could also drill and tap the ports on the head for allen plugs and then you could install a "standard" cover.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
30 Jun 2007 21:04 #153992 by darmahsd
Replied by darmahsd on topic emissions blockoff?
Try finding that "standard" cover. The Canadian bikes had the pretty covers with no "clean air" exhaust reed valve covers. Last one I tried to get was from an 1100 Spectre from eBay Canada. I was sniped all the way to Pluto!
'Gonna thread some aluminum rod, plug the holes and just mill down the reed valve box flush with the floor of the chamber and do away with any fancy (expensive) billet covers. I saw these available already done on eBay not long ago and they weren't expensive. A little black krinkle paint and you're close to the clean look of the Canadian engine with no real effect on emissions.
That was another government (political) thing if they wanted to sell more bikes here (IMHO). The reeds would open up from the negative intake pulse to let fresh air into the exhaust to help burn any leftover charge.
Don't ever put those reeds in flopped, pretty nasty.
Don't ask how I know :-)

Stephen

Post edited by: darmahsd, at: 2007/07/01 00:08

More
30 Jun 2007 21:08 #153995 by darmahsd
Try finding that "standard" cover. The Canadian bikes had the pretty covers with no "clean air" exhaust reed valve covers. Last one I tried to get was from an 1100 Spectre from eBay Canada. I was sniped all the way to Pluto!
'Gonna thread some aluminum rod, plug the holes and just mill down the reed valve box flush with the floor of the chamber and do away with any fancy (expensive) billet covers. I saw these available already done on eBay not long ago and they weren't expensive. A little black krinkle paint and you're close to the clean look of the Canadian engine with no real effect on emissions.
That was another government (political) thing if they wanted to sell more bikes here (IMHO). The reeds would open up from the negative intake pulse to let fresh air into the exhaust to help burn any leftover charge.

Stephen
'84 GPZ 1100

More
30 Jun 2007 21:08 #153996 by darmahsd

Stephen
'84 GPZ 1100

More
01 Jul 2007 09:10 #154028 by darmahsd
'Sorry for the three copies of same post. Don't know what happened.
Stephen