Smoke coming from a filter?

• slickware
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • My bike is as old as I am
More
27 Jun 2007 18:57 #153269 by slickware
Replied by slickware on topic Smoke coming from a filter?
I don't understand the bridge picture still.
My little filter is attached directly to the engine somewhere, with no (or very little) hose. Nothing comes out of the other end of the filter... it's just a filter-on-a-stick end-of-the-line sort of thing. I honestly thought it was another breather of some kind.

Am i missing another hose?

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2007 19:05 #153273 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic Smoke coming from a filter?
The *hole* atop the engine used to have a hose that directed the blow by to the airbox to be recirculated through the carbs. You have pod air filters (no airbox) so rather than leave the blowhole open to the air, people will stick a hose and small filter on there or just a filter like mine. :)

The bridging of the *ports* is a seperate issue. These ports are above reed valves (part of pollution control) at the front/top side of the valve cover. These ports used to have hoses on them connecting, ultimately, back to the air box too. You can *bridge* them with a hose or cap them off for a cleaner look.

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2007/06/27 22:09

• slickware
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jun 2007 19:08 #153274 by slickware
Ahhh. Makes much more sense now. So i CAN safely redirect this somehow back to the carbs without any damage to the engine? Is there another "hole" I can pipe it into? Or am I really best off just running a long tube out somewhere else.

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.

More
27 Jun 2007 19:23 #153290 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Smoke coming from a filter?
hope this helps

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2007 20:53 #153314 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Smoke coming from a filter?
My vapor hose is still hooked to the stock air box but a lot of guys just run the hose over the swing arm and down with the carb drain hoses. Fumes go down below the bike.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
28 Jun 2007 04:42 #153344 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Smoke coming from a filter?
The crankcase can not be sealed... must be ventilated. The crank vent is that round thing behind your engine which sits on top your rear engine case. You don't need a filter on the hole except that any blow-by which is oil vapor will come through the hole and would wet your carburetors. Some folks put a PVC filter on the outlet of the breather for this reason but I put a piece of plain black hose on the breather and route it over my swingarm. Only possible issue is that a mud-dawber might crawl in the hose and block it. You are not going to get stuff GOING INTO the crankcase since the pressure is going outwards. The downside to the filter is that it is disposable and must be changed periodically, depending on how much blow-by you have, or it will clog with oil.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• slickware
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jun 2007 06:15 #153361 by slickware
Ok - so I have 3 photos for you all today.
The first one is the hose/filter I was talking about - I can re-route this fairly easily, either with more hose or whatever. It looks to me like it probably needs a new filter, too, judging by the amount of gunk on it and the amount of oil in the hose itself.

The next one - I need to know what this hose is for. There are two of them, as you can see, and they come out from just in between the first/2nd, and the 3rd/4th airpods. (I'll point where in the last pic)

Are these also intake hoses? Can I use these to re-route the blowby tube into?

This is where that hose comes from:

Post edited by: slickware, at: 2007/06/28 09:17

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.

More
28 Jun 2007 06:17 #153362 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Smoke coming from a filter?
The small K&N filters are washable.If there
is smoke coming out, the bike needs a ring job.
Before I rebuilt mine I just took the filter
off and ran a hose down to just over the drive
chain and mounted it there.Any oil comming out
would just help lube the chain.

More
28 Jun 2007 06:40 #153368 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Smoke coming from a filter?
In the 2nd & 3rd pic, those are your carb vent tubes. They should be run between the back of the engine and the swingarm.
So, when (if) you and the bike go down, gas will flow out the hose instead of out the carbs onto the hot engine.

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2007/06/28 09:42

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• slickware
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jun 2007 12:45 #153460 by slickware
So, I think I may have fixed the problem. I won't know for sure until I go for a longer ride, but right now it's 90 degrees out with an 80% chance of thunderstorms... not my favorite riding weather.

I grabbed a longer length of rubber tubing, and found a MUCH larger filter (almost the diameter of the air pods on my carbs) and wedged that onto the end. Now it nests just behind the air pods, and underneath my seat. I'm not sure why, but it also seemed to idle a little better too...

~A

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.