to restore or not to restore, that is the question

More
30 Dec 2005 16:18 #15295 by primemover
Hello Everyone (i guess we had a face lift here! looks great!!),

Hope the holidays are treating us well....

Back Story:

I started riding this past season, have a 1987 KZ305, put 3k miles on her this summer and she is currently winterized and "safe" for the winter...

I'm new to bikes (the KZ305 is my first) and am not well versed in "mechanic" type things....

I've come into possession of a 1978 KZ400 (~6000 miles) that is in need of LOTS of TLC....

I got it for $250 and am trying to decide if:

1) it is simply good for some "engine" practice

2) If i should part her out

or

3) if i should try an ALL OUT restore....

The bike is in disrepair and the basic specs are:

minor issues (as far as i can tell):
- no mirrors,
- seat a little ripped,
- gas tank dented (but no rust inside)
- pitting and rust here/there (handle bars, rake, rims)
- battery is dead (of coruse)
- headlight is missing

mjaor issues (as far as i can tell):
- master cylander is damaged
- no brake cables

the "good":
- tires seem "ok" holding air
- carbs look "ok" from the outside
- has all blinkers

i basically took this off my friends hands (sight unseen) thinking that i could use it for some parts (if needed) for my KZ305 (though i'm still not certain how much of it would be useful for the 305).

It does have a rack which i have been looking for for QUITE some time, so if nothing else, i'll keep that....

any thoughts?
suggestions?

at the very least, i'm considering taking it apart, cleaning it up and then deciding if(what) i part out or start to tinker/restore....

there are a number of tasks i need to learn (changing a tire tube, some gasket type engine repairs) that i am a LITTLE worried about PRACTICING on my current ride....

well, that's about it....

- prime....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2005 16:38 #15300 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic to restore or not to restore, that is the question
If you are looking at restoration to make money, then don't do it....

If you want to restore for the reward or experience of bringing something back to new condition, then go for it.

Restoration can be VERY expensive especially if you are looking at a full restoration - but if you just plan on bringing the bike back to a nice looking bike, the costs don't have to be that great - the key is doing much of the work yourself because as soon as you start to farm work out, the costs start climbing.

Used parts for these bikes are fairly available - many salvage yards list KZ400 bike parts - plus there is ebay. Some new parts are still available, although you do have to be careful as not everything is readily available

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
30 Dec 2005 17:38 #15307 by Garn
Agree with Jeff re-restoration. It's a hard call, as to what to do! I think I would start at the most important brake situation. Try the salvage yards for a second-hand master cylinder and take it from there, with the objective of getting it safe and mobile, bit by bit! Then reassess!

Don't worry about cosmetics at this stage, however, it's a good hobby to clean her up!

As Jeff indicated: it is a rewarding experience to bring life back to bikes that look doomed.

Regardz

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
30 Dec 2005 19:58 #15326 by crewzzn88
if you do the all-out restore, TAKE YOUR TIME! don't rush into it. check your prices too. most of the time you could reuse the parts, just cleaning and oiling could bring them back to life. good luck.

• agawam
  • Visitor
30 Dec 2005 20:13 #15330 by agawam
I would customize it because I can't help it, and I love the kawasakis cause they are the chevrolet of jap bikes(many many parts interchange from bike to bike and year to year)I have the big brother of your 400 a KZ750 twin,I love it and because its mine I can do whatever I want to it, stock is nice but custom is personal, it says you, put a cafe type seat, get some drag or superbike bars maybe some new exhaust and some fancy paint,a mini fairing could be nice,you need a head light try ebay , a lot of stuff goes for cheap there how about some mag wheels, they'll dress up the bike a bit,I bought a complete rear mag off ebay for 17 bucks plus shipping with hub, brake, tire and axle. I have a bunch of H1s and a few KZs and have been swaping parts around without much problem I just put H1 forks on my 650SR it lowered the bike 4 inches and the 650 dual calipers bolted right on as did the wheel.It would probably be the same between your 305 and 400 this is my 650 SR cusom in the works,it has an 84 KZ700 engine H1 frontend and 14 in shocks in the rear,its getting a cafe seat and custom exhaust,I say customize it

More
30 Dec 2005 20:19 #15332 by agawam
pic was too big had to modify

More
31 Dec 2005 04:13 #15365 by Mcdroid
primemover:

Restoration has to be a labor of love (or it becomes a chore)...if that scooter doesn't touch your heart in some way, then either sell it outright or part it out. If you want to restore a bike for practice, then get a bike that gives you a chubby and work on that one (restore your 305, for example, as you seem to have some attachment to the bike).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
31 Dec 2005 07:49 #15396 by primemover
Hi All,

thanks for the advice/tips/suggestions....

I've looked at " www.buykawasaki.com " and have determined that there are few (if any) direct "swaps" pf parts between thw KZ305 and KZ400. That does not mean that some swaps would not be possible....

I apprecaite the suggestion of dealing with the master cyl. first, but wonder....

should i first see if i can get the bike to start???

I mean, change splugs, change oil, clean carbs, all that nice stuff and see if i can get her to come to life before starting on brakes, wheels....

?

More
31 Dec 2005 10:03 #15408 by kawtoy
I would at least check the compression. If is too low then you will have to rebuild the engine and that will add lots to the cost of the resto. If the compression is good then I would try to get it to start. If it won't start it will most likely just need some tune up parts like plugs, points and carb kits. On these Kaw engines, if the compression is good then the motor should run with some tinkering. If you are just trying to make the biuke run and look better and you do the work yourself then i would say you could do the project for under $500 easy.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
31 Dec 2005 13:04 #15427 by primemover
thanks for the compression suggestion....

i'll start there (and with the engine) and see if she'll start, if she does, i'll then decide how to proceed (i.e., tinker/restore/part out)....

prime

More
01 Jan 2006 08:01 #15508 by primemover
Hey....

how did you load that picture into the message???

i tried the "select image file to attach" option, but nothing happened...

• wireman
  • Visitor
01 Jan 2006 19:54 #15559 by wireman
definately check over the engine first,if its worn out you could easily spend more than bike will ever be worth,most of the other parts should be easy enough to get!goodluck,happy wrenching!