More
26 Jun 2007 06:41 #152782 by eel
Changing a cam chain... was created by eel
have to split the cases?

1984 GPz750
2007 ZX6R
53-Racing.com - My Website
My GPz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
26 Jun 2007 06:44 #152783 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Changing a cam chain...
I didn't on my '85 GPz.

Z1 sells the chain, link and tool. Give them a call.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
26 Jun 2007 07:39 #152793 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Changing a cam chain...
Eel, place your bike year/model and your location in your signature. Who knows what type bike you refer to? As far as splitting the cases on a KZ, they do have to be split to install an OEM cam chain. You can use an aftermarket chain with masterlink but will not be able to change out any of the associated rubber bits that do wear if you go this route unless you take the top end off anyway... Might as well split the cases, in my opinion unless you know the rubber bits are good.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jun 2007 08:22 #152808 by eel
Replied by eel on topic Changing a cam chain...
sorry folks.. its for an 84 GPZ750

i already have the top end, barrels off.. i went to order the chain and the parts guy asked if i needed a bunch of other seals from inside the cases.. i said.. no, why.. he said i was going to split the cases to change the chain, right?

;)

i was sure there was clip-type chains available..
because i dont want to open up the motor unless i really have to..

1984 GPz750
2007 ZX6R
My GPz

More
26 Jun 2007 08:41 #152816 by wiredgeorge
The engine seals don't go inside the cases... they go in the case covers and it isn't a bad idea to swap them when rebuilding an engine. For a KZ 900/1000 the seal kit is under $30 as memory serves... shift shaft seal, seal on the crank end where the pickup coils are located, seal around the kick starter lever, etc... To split the cases, you only have to remove about 7 bolts from the top and about 23 (or 21? can't recall for sure) bolts from underneath and there are 8mm pry points where you insert and 8mm bolt and just turn it a bit and the cases are split. You just lift the crank and slide the new chain in place. The biggest issue with splitting the cases is installing new engine cover gaskets so a full gasket set is needed. At this point you can check out the transmission, replace the oring under the oil pump and clean the oil pump up... It takes about $100 to split the cases if you change seals and gaskets and a couple extra hours work.

Oh yeah, the guy at the parts counter has NO idea that there is a master link type chain you could use as they never put a master link type cam chain on a Kaw... I think you have a hyvo chain and they do make master links for those...

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/06/26 11:42

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jun 2007 10:28 #152852 by eel
Replied by eel on topic Changing a cam chain...
how safe is the clip/rivet link in a racing application.. and recommended brands.. i think its just the parts guys might not know where to look for one..

1984 GPz750
2007 ZX6R
My GPz

More
26 Jun 2007 11:08 #152864 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic Changing a cam chain...
oem chain your best bet rivet style should be fine but clip style not safe

More
26 Jun 2007 12:56 #152890 by wiredgeorge
I have never used a master link type hyvo cam chain. The master link chains (bicycle type chain) on a 903/1015 has you set the plate OVER the side pins and then you must PEEN the pins (or stake them if you prefer). I am pretty confident that if you peen/stake the pin ends correctly, the link is at least as strong as any other. I suggest you call z1enterprises.com and ask Jeff or one of the guys how the hyvo master link works and how strong it would be relative to racing applications. Deal is, that the real high quality bicycle type cam chains don't come in the master link variety, as far as I know... only the less expensive. Could be there are different grades of hyvo chain and they will have some good recommendations as far as how they stand up to racing stress.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jun 2007 12:57 #152891 by wiredgeorge
I have never used a master link type hyvo cam chain. The master link chains (bicycle type chain) on a 903/1015 has you set the plate OVER the side pins and then you must PEEN the pins (or stake them if you prefer). I am pretty confident that if you peen/stake the pin ends correctly, the link is at least as strong as any other. I suggest you call z1enterprises.com and ask Jeff or one of the guys how the hyvo master link works and how strong it would be relative to racing applications. Deal is, that the real high quality bicycle type cam chains don't come in the master link variety, as far as I know... only the less expensive. Could be there are different grades of hyvo chain and they will have some good recommendations as far as how they stand up to racing stress. Oh yeah, I haven't see a "clip" type master link on a chain ever... By clip, I am guessing the type of fastener used on a drive chain made to be removeable.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jun 2007 15:29 #152919 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Changing a cam chain...
Something to consider. On the 903/1015 motors there are heavy duty cam chains available for under $50.00

There are no heavy duty put together chains.

And remember, when those chains fail, we can fix your head :P

Jay

More
26 Jun 2007 16:22 #152935 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Changing a cam chain...
On the 750 fours the crank seals are inside the cases and the crank has to be removed to replace them.

KD9JUR

More
28 Jun 2007 04:47 #153345 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Changing a cam chain...
If they sell a master link then just cut your chain and link the new chain to the old and pull it through the engine no need to split the cases, just take the valve coverr off.